1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 5:42 AM by joe bloe premiere

DVCProHD Tape-Based Capture /  Transfer to Avid - Best Practices?

MattEfsic

I may seem to be going a little "old-school" with this question, so please bear with me.

I am fairly adept in tape-less acquisition and on-set media management, however this next project has me working with several Panasonic HDX900's (tape-based).

The production has decided to use Premiere for the initial Transfer and Avid for the editing (facilities decision).

We will be shooting in the DVCProHD codec.

My question is:

When capturing in Premiere 5.5, what is the best quality codec to use which is cross-platform compatible with Avid Media composer.

I was thinking of having the initial tape capture and audio sync in Premiere and exporting an AAF.

Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt Efsic

Ventura, CA

AC / DMT / Now being asked to incorporate Post Workflow.

• 1. Re: DVCProHD Tape-Based Capture /  Transfer to Avid - Best Practices?
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

The production has decided to use Premiere for the initial Transfer and Avid for the editing (facilities decision).

This seems a needlessly poor decision.

I can't imagine why the facility would make this choice, aside from

possibly avoiding a scheduling conflict by not using the AVID suite for capturing.

When capturing in Premiere 5.5, what is the best quality codec to use which is cross-platform compatible with Avid Media composer.

You have no selectable control over the capture codec in Premiere.

I have not tested it, but AVID will likely have no problem editing media captured in Premiere.

I Would suggest running a test before you commit to that workflow.