4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 11:51 AM by bduffy323

linking text to track changes

bduffy323 Level 1

Hello all, my end goal is to be able to track changes to variable text that gets added to a text frame that has particular tags in it. For example the text frame may have this:

Save <text1>       

Reg price <text2>

I then susbtitute in <text1> and <text2> with variable text but would like to maintain a link to those individually to see if anything has changed. I do not care if the words "Save" or "Reg price" change and I can't use those words to know where my variables are because they may not always be there. Another example could just have variable text, in which I would want to keep track of the changes individually like this:

<text1>

<text2>

<text3>

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: linking text to track changes
          KuddRoww Level 1

"my end goal is to be able to track changes to variable text that gets added to a text frame that has particular tags in it."

The text frame is tagged or the text itself is tagged? How is the text getting added in?

• 2. Re: linking text to track changes
            bduffy323 Level 1

The text itself is tagged. I am retrieving the text from a database and replacing the corresponding <text1> with the text from the database. I then want to be able to update the database with just changes that occurr to the database text that got added. It is very simple when the textframe just holds one <text1> with no static text, because in that instance I just take whatever is in the textframe and update the database when the editing in indesign is complete. However, I would like to add the capability of having more than one <text*> label and also be able to have static text.

For example:

Database looks like this:

text1 = "1.99"

text2 = "2.99"

textFrame looks like this:

Save <text1>

Reg price <text2>

After replacing the text:

Save 1.99

Reg price 2.99

Then lets say I edit the second price and text:

Save 1.99

Regular price 4.00

I then want to update the database to say

text1 = "1.99"

text2 = "4.00"

I hope thats more clear!

• 3. Re: linking text to track changes
              L. Guy O'Rojo Level 2

When I do this, I only update the database, and then re-export the updated information to a tagged text file which is then placed in InDesign.

• 4. Re: linking text to track changes
                bduffy323 Level 1

I'm trying to establish a push and pull scenario where I can pull from the database, and then push changes made in indesign back to the database. I have this working when there is only one <text*> tag per text frame and no other text previously in the text frame. Where I run into trouble is being able to track what tag gets changed when there are multiple <text*> tags in one text frame.