Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 'could not remove backup file'

Participant ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

A couple of times today I have received a mesage "Could not remove backup file filename~.htm" when I tried to save/close a topic.

This is worrying me.

I could see the backup files still existed in the RH project so I deleted them via Windows (scary).

Should I have done that? Will it now explode?

And why did it do it in the first place? I have been thrashing my machine rather a lot today with numerous apps open.

(Using RH 7)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is your project located? Are you using Source Control?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is located on my local C: drive and no I am not using Source Control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What o/s? Anything change recently? Are you a local admin on your own machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Vista as an administrator.

No nothing has changed at all.

If there's nothing obvious then I won't worry about it as it still seems to compile OK.

I just like to understand WHY it comes up with stuff like this as I know seemingly innocuous things can have repercussions later on!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would this backup files be called something like rtl022.htm? If so, these are temporary files created when you preview a topic. They should be deleted automatically but can remain behind. You say you've been thrashing your PC a bit today. Did you try restarting the PC and see if that fixed the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the backup files are copies of the original file. eg if I have a file named 'hello.htm' the backup file would appear as 'hello~.htm'

It looks like it's something that should have got deleted - which is why I helped it on its way.

I did restart but it's an intermittent thing so I can't tell if it's fixed.

Fingers crossed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, no changes to anything on the OS - RH9 been working just fine for ages, in my recent project though I have been receiving this message every time I save.  It appears that topics that I have renamed have been renamed in the RH but not in the system file, EG: New_Topic2.htm has been renamed in RH however this hasn't updated the htm file in the projects folder on my c:/ drive.  If i delete New_Topic2 the the topic is deleted from the project.  Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this sort of stuff appear when you use find and replace tools that create a backup when they change a file. I've never seen or heard of anything in Rh doing this, other than in this thread.

Is there some sort of backup utility running in your environment?

You say it's every time you save. Save any change or just a file rename done through Rh?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have Trend running on our network and my pc is monitored for failure and backed up daily by Kaseya. 

This was happening every time I saved.  I have since renamed the actual .htm files (In the 'My Robohelp Projects' folder on my c:/ drive) to reflect the same name as the topic and I have not received this message again. 

To test this theory I created a new topic without naming it (leaving it a 'New Topic 3'), when I renamed the topic in Robohelp the .htm file did not update to reflect the change and I received this message again.  A shutdown / restart has not fixed this.  Again as it was a test I change the name on the .htm file to reflect the new topic name and the message ceased. 

I've deleted my test topic now and I'm satisfied that this is all that is causing the error message however doesn't give any explanation as to why it was working fine renaming topics previously and then all of a sudden it's not.  Nothing has changed on my pc or our network.  I am the only user on the network with RH and therefore the only user able to access and change any RH documents.

Cheers, A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Trend got patched but regardless, this is not happening to anyone else so it does, at face value, appear to be linked to Trend rather than Rh. Maybe Trend Support have had other users report this?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could possibly be ShadowProtect too - taking incremental snapshots..?  I've started receiving this message again this morning - all topics & files are fine and matching so can't possibly be this any more so it must be something running on our network.  To enable our network administrator to investigate properly I need an understanding of what RH is trying to do when it says 'could not remove backup file'.  Any assistance with this would be great - when I click 'save' - what are the functions that RH performs to get to this message??  Thanks A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - best practices dictate that you keep your projects in c:\projects\[project_name]\ to keep path lengths nice & short. Don't use the "My RH Projects" folder because it is often strung out on a really long path length.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, the c drive is only a temporary location while I am writing as saving them elsewhere on our network adversely impacts on RH's performance, the whole lot gets picked up and moved on our network once they have been finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just mean when you're actively working on them - they should be kept in as short a path as possible for best results. This "best practice" also applies in Source Control situations too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp