4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 11:53 AM by kmb1234

InDesign 5.5 crashes EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

kmb1234

Hi there

Just downloaded InDesign 5.5 and after the installation completed I tried to start the program. On startup this error message shows up: http://pastebin.com/qZKVcAi8

Every time I try to start the programm, it will crash.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: InDesign 5.5 crashes EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I was hoping John would see this and respond -- he's our expert on crash logs.

It looks to me like some sort of lacalization problem. What language did you install?

There's a very slim chance that downloading and applying the 7.5.2 patch will straighten things out (you need the patch anyway).

• 2. Re: InDesign 5.5 crashes EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
            Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Trry Resetting the preferences:-

These are normally hidden files, so you will need to set your system to show them. They will be found in various places depending on the OS, and the version of InDesign.

InDesign Defaults:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<language>\  (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

Windows Vista or Windows 7: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\ (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/<USER>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>/(Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

InDesign SavedData:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\Caches\  (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

Windows Vista or Windows 7: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\<Version #>\<Language>\Caches\  (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

Macintosh: Hard Drive/Users/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/<Version #>/<Language>/ (Note: Prior to version 6 [CS4] the language folder is not used).

and also check in the new user account.

• 3. Re: InDesign 5.5 crashes EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
              John Hawkinson Level 5

I was hoping John would see this and respond -- he's our expert on crash logs.

Sorry, John's had a busy week.

It looks like a corrupt installation to me, the dynamic linker (dyld) is not able to load InDesign. But it does also seem localization-related, so I would second Peter's question about what language you installed, and what language is your system?

Do you have MacKeeper installed? I vaguely remember something like this might have been caused by it? (It is a thoroughly useless piece of software.)

• 4. Re: InDesign 5.5 crashes EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
                kmb1234 Level 1

hi guys,

thanks for helping me. the system locale is English - US.

installing the patch didn't solve the problem and i wasn't using mackeeper.

resetting the preferences though solved the problem.

thanks again!