5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 9:50 AM by Todd_Kopriva

GTX 470, and GTX 580 - differences with effects that make time line go RED ?

David Zeno Level 1

I have the GTX 470 at the time of this post.

When I apply most effects to video on a time line, everything is good.

Now, if I put an effect like the "Cube Spin" on my time line, on a piece of footage, the time line goes RED, where that effect was applied,

telling me that portion of video needs to be "rendered"   fine and dandy, I understand many effects need a little help and have to be rendered to play in real-time.

Now - here's my question.

Does the version of video card have anything to do with this ? ... meaning.......

If I upgrade to the GTX 580, or even the GTX 680 ( due out very soon ) - would this change anything ?

So, if I had a faster, newer card in my computer, and I added a "Cube Spin" effect to footage, would the time line still turn RED ?

Hopefully a good question for the forum.

Thanks for any information.  I have a feeling I know what the answer will be, but I'm posting anyway, and would like to know because I"m curious.

Dave.

• 1. Re: GTX 470, and GTX 580 - differences with effects that make time line go RED ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. No

2. No

3. Yes

Cube spin is a non-accelerated effect, so the video card makes no difference at all. Upgrading from a 470 to a 580 would be a waste of money. The 680 benefits still need to be established by testing, but it seems wiser to wait for the 685/690 to appear in Q3/2012 if you currently have a 470.

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: GTX 470, and GTX 580 - differences with effects that make time line go RED ?
            David Zeno Level 1

Hi Harm,

Good info, thanks, it's appreciated.

At the moment, the 470 works great for me, love it to bits.  I will hold off on any video card, ... I got excited seeing the annoucement of the 680 2 gb model, but then when I got word of the

4 gb model, that made me stop dead in my tracks.

And yes, now with the "685" or whatever it is, ( GK110 gpu ) there's no way I'm going to buy a 680, with pricing maybe $150 or $200 more for such a big jump in speed.  I don't buy things to change them every 2 years, and with such a big purchase ( $) you really have to think about it.

With all  this talk about new cards though, if newer cards do not help out with effects,  what do the amount of CUDA cores actually do for users of Premiere ?  More is better, or so I am lead to believe,

however, if your timeline is "yellow" and plays in basically real time, then how would more CUDA cores benefit somebody ?  Are these cores only beneficial for those using a much higher resolution

of video format ? such as this RED format ?

I shoot 1080p and I don't see myself shooting anything larger than that for a LONG time.

Dave.

P.S. - a good chat, thank you.

Harm Millaard wrote:

1. No

2. No

3. Yes

Cube spin is a non-accelerated effect, so the video card makes no difference at all. Upgrading from a 470 to a 580 would be a waste of money. The 680 benefits still need to be established by testing, but it seems wiser to wait for the 685/690 to appear in Q3/2012 if you currently have a 470.

• 4. Re: GTX 470, and GTX 580 - differences with effects that make time line go RED ?
              David Zeno Level 1

Hi Todd,

thanks for your input.  I guess I'm using the word "render" loosely, but when I say my time line is "rendered" I mean more mean it plays in real time.

For me a "rendered" *time line* is one that is 100% GREEN.

Do any of the new video cards turn a time line GREEN ? without the user telling Premiere to turn that time line green using the "render entire work area" command ?

I'm guessing no. ( perhaps in a perfect world )

There are many many times, that I will add transitions to pieces of footage, and I MUST "render effects" and "renter entire work area" to see these transitions correctly.  I will never output

a time line to a video file, unless the time line is 100% GREEN.  I render the work area so it's green, then play it back and watch all transitions carefully to see they are just the way I want them.

( yes I have time on my hands ) :-)

You may say this isn't neccessary, however I do find with my GTX 470 that if I take a piece of footage, and I SPLIT that video, cut a portion out, and then blend it together with a simple

transition like "cross dissolve" which requires no actual "rendering" ( time line will show this as yellow ) , I do find that the computer will hesitate when it plays over that transition ... SO.... I'll

create a work area around that transition, so I emcompass that area, do a "render entire work area " ( which only takes seconds ) and bingo, I can now see if the transition works well.  This works

great, and ensures me a great final video. 

Dave.

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

Read this:

"red, yellow, and green render bars and what they mean"

• 5. Re: GTX 470, and GTX 580 - differences with effects that make time line go RED ?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

David, you're misunderstanding what the yellow line is telling you. Premiere Pro is not doing a complex calculation based on your hardware to determine what color line to show. It is simply hecking whether you are using the GPU acceleration and whether the effect(s) in use are GPU accelerated; if so, then yellow render bar. Please read the page that I pointed to.

More CUDA cores means faster processing---within limits, and with certain kinds of computation.