6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2012 9:18 AM by jpcraig4357

Export to pdf problem

jpcraig4357

I need to export an entire book file to PDF for the printer. All images are tritones - but the end up flat and light in the PDF.

1- the same images export to pdf from Photoshop beautifully

2- I am using no compression, conversion, etc. in my export

This is my first time working with tritones. The results were such that printing from Photoshop to my 7800, they are almost indistinguishable from their grayscale equivalents. In InDesigh they look good (although they do go light and flat when I set Overprint Preview).

Can anyone help, thanks…

• 1. Re: Export to pdf problem
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

Will this book be printed offset with 3 spot inks?

Have you placed Photoshop psd files or exported PS images to pdf to place?

• 2. Re: Export to pdf problem
            jpcraig4357 Level 1

I appreciate any help I can get. Not a newbie by any means, except to tritones, etc.

Yes, Black, and two patone grays. I've done it now both ways, all psd and all photoshop pdf image files (I really thought that one would work). Both ways images show up faded and flat when ID file is exported to pdf - no compresseion or anything. (In Ink dialog I see the colors, don't know what that means.)

I even tried substituting a pantone black spot color for the default balck, but that didn't work either.

I found this elsewhere on the Adobe site - confusing to me:

"To export a duotone image to a page-layout application, you must first save the image in EPS or PDF format. (However, if the image contains spot channels, convert it to Multichannel mode and save it in DCS 2.0 format.) Remember to name custom colors using the appropriate suffix so that the importing application can recognize them. Otherwise, the application may not print the colors correctly, or it may not print the image at all."

Does this apply to this situation? Then is it tritone? Anyway, I'm going to try an image and see how it converts to PDF - not that this makes any sense to me with everyone saying the images must be tritone with recognizable pantone ink colorcodes.

• 3. Re: Export to pdf problem
              Daniel Flavin Level 4

DCS = Desktop Color Seperations; an old format, no longer required. Native PSD's will carry the spot channels, and Tritone/Duotone is a slight variation on Multi Channel use. (You might use DCS.eps to get a spot channel PS file to Quark or Pagemaker. If you needed a two color PS file, you can create Spot Channels, for a different requirement)

Does InDesign show the Spot Colors? (Seperations Preview)

I doubt that the PS channels need to be actual Pantone Spots. I expect you could name them "Dark Gray" and alias within InDesign. At some point, they would need to know a spot color at press.

Tritone Shot.jpg

• 4. Re: Export to pdf problem
                jpcraig4357 Level 1

Screen Shot 2012-03-28 at 8.11.51 AM.png
                This is my comparable screen shot. I notice I don't have percentages on my Separation Preview.

• 5. Re: Export to pdf problem
                  Daniel Flavin Level 4

You appear to have valid Tritone graphics - the swatches panel is nicely empty excepting the Grays.

You are not seeing percentages - move your mouse over an object and ID will show the percentage under the curser.

Click just the Gray 10 swatch in Seperations Panel to show only the Gray 10; same for Gray 1; ditto for Black.

Turn off the colors in use and turn on cmy, you should see nothing.

Given that this is a large document, proofing every page this way is unreasonable.

Bring up the Print Dialog - Choose seperations, turn off the Black and Grays (from the output tab) to print only the cmy seperations. Hit Print - InDesign should alert you that The Pages Selected do not conatian any inks that will produce plates; that's a double check to verify that all 200+ links are valid tritones for your document.

To your original post - the colors look flat -

If this were a cmyk file, you would request a contract proof before plates are made; I do not forsee an ability to produce a true proof with the colors used. (A chromalux proof was used for spot color work at one time; I am not sure if they are still a standard, or outdated) You need to communicate with the actual  plant producing the work at this point. Perhaps a Press Check. I have see many dutones print to dark in my days (I've run a press for 20+ years) but what I see of your file is good contrast, proper tritones, effective resolution; all the necessary assets.

• 6. Re: Export to pdf problem
                    jpcraig4357 Level 1

Thank you so much. CMYK is one thing, but this is much more confusing. My printer is good but inexperienced in fine tritone printing - at the same time willing to let me work closely with him on this. I'm preparing a file of test prints on one sheet for a full test run - at least he's willing to do that. The one odd byproduct of this process is the fact that, after matching the three blacks as close as I could to the three inks in my Epson 7800, tweeking of files was actually pretty minimal, and similar across the board. Comparison printing of tritone vs grayscale on the printer leaves me preferring those from tritone for large prints - actually closer to the display. Anyway, again, thank you - I'll be sure and post the results of offset test on these flat/light looking pdf files - still not sure why they would look any different than a pdf direct from Photoshop unless the presence of even "0" color on the cmy range muddies the view in the pdf.