1 2 3 2 Previous Next 66 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2012 1:55 AM by Interference.gt Go to original post RSS
      • 50. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......
        PixbyTed Community Member

Well a forehead smacker, but far from dumb azz. A day without a forehead smack is a day without using Photoshop.

Glad you figured it out. Now you realize, I will have to try it to find out what 250 px of outer glow looks like.

Ted

• 51. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......
          Adam Jerugim Adobe Employee

A couple updates:

First, I need to give credit to my colleague Mike Shaw for identifying what specifically was slowing down performance in the file - I'll certainly sleep better tonight

Second, I ran an action to try to reproduce the slowdown using tools and wasn't able to - my action ran the Dodge tool 50 times in a row on a single image without any degradation in performance for the entire run.  Note that I'm not using a tablet and there might be something about the data being passed there that's slowing down the app (just a WAG).  Ted, my email contact info is above so if you'd like to contact me directly I can help you create an action on your system that might help us figure out what's going on.

Thanks again,

Adam

• 52. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......
            Noel Carboni Community Member

That's good news, AtonMusic.  Glad to hear it wasn't a bug!

-Noel

• 53. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......
              AtonMusic Community Member

Noel Carboni wrote:

That's good news, AtonMusic.  Glad to hear it wasn't a bug!

-Noel

And I am glad to find out that my favorite software is NOT slower but faster than it predecessor ;-)

• 54. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......

PixbyTed wrote:

Well a forehead smacker, but far from dumb azz. A day without a forehead smack is a day without using Photoshop.

Glad you figured it out. Now you realize, I will have to try it to find out what 250 px of outer glow looks like.

Ted

Those 250 pixels were a quick way of adding light-integration to a person which I key'ed out of a beige background placing the subject on a golden glowing background.

I should have just duplicated the subject, colored it yellow and gaussian-blurred it... That would have given me the same effect. I will certainly do THAT in the future ;-)

• 55. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......

Thanks Adam ...

I will definitely send you an email. Tonight I only did 8 images, but on the last, I began to notice a slow down of the healing brush.

Here is my system info:

i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40 GHz

Windows 7 Home Prem build 6.1.7601

RAM: 16GB

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti with 1 GB

NVIDIA Driver: 9.17.12.9610

Wacom Intuous 4

PS preferences:

memory for PS 8703 GB (59%)

This  memory table I created from the Windows Resource Monitor

Stage:                    In Use          Modified          Standby          Free

----------                   -------------     -------------          -----------          --------

Fresh Start             2070MB      44MB               866MB          13394MB

Start Bridge           2230            64                    1179               12863MB

Launch ACR          2780            86                    1640               11800

Open 1 smt Obj     5090           112                   1833               11333

close 2 images      5775           112                   2628                 7841 - edited / closed 2 photos, , PS running, no active img

close 1 image        6516           159                   3318                 6374 - PS running, no active image

close 5 images      6732           247                   4543                 4843 - PS running, no active image

close PS                2318           108                   4613                  9327 - PS closed, Br still running

close Br                  2090           108                   4652                  9530

Somehow during the process of launching PS & Br, editing 8 images, and closing PS & Br, free memory was reduced by

just shy of 4GB. The troublesome part is that in use memory increased after each image was closed. Although it wasn't as bad tonight (with only 8 images) by the time I did 12 last night, the tools were noticably sluggish.

• 56. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......
                    Chris Cox Adobe Employee

>> The troublesome part is that in use memory increased after each image was closed.

That's normal: photoshop reuses memory, and freeing memory all the time would make it much slower and more likely to have problems with address space fragmentation.

• 57. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......

Thanks Chris. That makes sense.

What happens if "in use memory" exceeds the amount I have set in PS preferences (in my case 8.7 GB)? Would that result in sluggish tools?

I haven't watched it long enough to see if that happens when the tools get sliuggish.

Ted

• 58. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......
                        Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Photoshop's "in use" as measured by the OS includes things beyond Photoshop's control (OS buffers, display/UI buffers, the size of the loaded binaries, etc.).

But Photoshop's measured memory use tries to take that into account, and limit actual allocated space to less than you specify in Photohop's preferences.

Allocating the full amount would not make Photoshop sluggish.  But if you edit a document larger than RAM and hit the scratch disk a lot - then that could make Photoshop sluggish while it waits for disk IO.

• 59. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......

I don't think it's writing to scratch disk frequently. The largest file I was working on last night was only about 760MB and 21 layers. The most "in use" memory reported by windows was 6.7GB and I have 8.7 allocated to PS out of 16GB total installed. But last night, I only noticed a slight increase in sluggishness as opposed to previously when I had opened and closed a dozen or more documents.

What I will do today is just keep running the current instance until the tools become what I would call painfully sluggish - in other words when I would normally shut PS down and start a new instance. What statistics would be useful to you when I reach that state?

Ted

• 60. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......
                            Chris Cox Adobe Employee

The basic memory stats might be useful.

Beyond that we need to figure out how to reproduce the problem so we can profile it and see where the time is going.

• 61. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......

Hi Adam,

hope you're good...

I have found what seems to be a Mac OS X Lion (cant say about Snow Leopard) GUI Bug...

The top of the Photoshop GUI does not flush to the OS X Meny bar...and it is impossible to make it do so..

Just esthetics and you probably already know about it but I thought I would report it, just the same

Best Morten

ScreenShot of BUG =

• 62. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......
                                Noel Carboni Community Member

Images attached to eMails don't get into the forum, Morten.

-Noel

• 63. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......

Hi Noel,

thought I had replied to Adam directly... Sorry

Did not know I could reply here directly from my email account

M.

• 64. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......
                                    station_one Community Member

What Noel is trying to tell you is that no one can see the image you thought you had attached, not even Adam.

Images attached to emails just disappear into cyberspace, nobody gets to see them even for an instant.

• 65. Re: Adobe, Please.... Quit crippling down this wonderful app......
                                      station_one Community Member

…and what I want to add is that, without seeing your screen shot, I don't know what you're referencing.  Everything looks fine under snow Leopard 10.6.8, if that helps.

• 66. Re: Quit crippling this wonderful app.....thought it was slower, but it is actually faster.
                                        Interference.gt

I have just uninstalled it because I am too busy to deal with the performance issues. After using it for a while, my whole system becomes unusably slow - not just PS6. Also it won't quit completely. I'm used to Adobe programs taking forever to quit - especially Acrobat (???) but PS 6 would never quit --always had to be forced.

For what its worth, I'm working mostly with very large documents - satellite imagery, from a few hundred MB to 2GB. If things calm down here I might try again.

1 2 3 2 Previous Next