4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2012 1:57 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS3 to CS5.5

pnngo

My workplace is looking to upgrade from CS3 to CS5.5. As far as opening documents that have been constructed in CS3 in CS5.5, I've heard that they have to be exported into CS4 first where some conversion would take place, and then it is exported into CS5.5 -  and it's also a case of using plug-ins as well.  Is this true and has anyone experience any such problems?

Any help would be appreciated.

PT

• 1. Re: InDesign CS3 to CS5.5
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You have that backwards. CS3 files should open fine in CS5.5. It’s going the other way that can be a problem.

BTW, if you buy CS5.5 now you’ll get a free upgrade to CS6 when it ships.

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign CS3 to CS5.5
            Stix Hart Level 5

You can open a CS3 document directly in CS5.5 without having CS4, 99% of the time with no problems.  To go back again is another matter though, you do need CS4 to do that.

If you do ever have problems the first thing to try is exporting an inx file from CS3 and opening that in CS5.5.  You can keep CS3 on your computer when you install CS5.5.  Also, if you buy CS5.5 at the moment you will get a free upgarde to CS6 when that comes out.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: InDesign CS3 to CS5.5
              pnngo Level 1

Thanks.  Your responses have all been a great help.

PT

• 4. Re: InDesign CS3 to CS5.5
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

"CS3 files should open fine in CS5.5"

Note the "should" in that statement. I've never had a problem with one of my own files, but there have been enough reports here of trouble developing after major editing that I no longer open CS3 or CS4 files directly in CS5 or CS5.5. It's cheap insurance to export as .inx from the original program (keep it installed), then open that for editing.