4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2012 8:27 AM by Pierre Devereux

After Effects CS5 - Sourcing Extra Resources

Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi,

I am extremely new to the world of Adobe CS5 and After Effects (I purchased Production Premium last week friday) and will be using it for film editing.

I would like to know if there is a "Best Suggested" site that i can go to, to buy some extra resources - and by "resources" I mean:

1) Backgrounds

2) Film Footage (Forrest fly-overs, Volcanic eruptions - that sort of thing)

3) Textures

I see that there are many pre-loaded options in After Effects and a lot of the footage I want can be custom designed, but i am hoping to save some time by purchasing a few pre-made clips.

any other suggestions as to where a complete newbie should start would also be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Pierre Devereux

• 1. Re: After Effects CS5 - Sourcing Extra Resources
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

For stock footage, it's tough to beat Artbeats... so to speak.  A google of "Animated Backgrounds" and Textures will reveal plenty of sources, many of them free.

But that's not your greatest concern, I think. 

After Effects is NOT your typical video application.  Familiarity with other video applications does NOT imply knowledge of AE.  It's feature-laden, and to the newcomer, many vital features appear to be hidden.  While it's becoming more and more of a universal application, its roots lie in professional use, e.g. Hollywood, major networks, major-market TV stations, production houses and large corporations.  Places where people had already mastered the basics, and could more easily pick up the basics particular to AE.  Knowledge of the AE basics is assumed before you can really work well with the application.

Oh, you can try to use AE intuitively, but you're certain to miss a lot.  It's virtually certain you would face frustration and waste valuable time.  If you're resolved to use AE, I strongly recommend an extended visit to this page:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

With careful scrutiny of the information and links found there you'll find valuable training resources, and you'll also be able to decide how you want to train yourself.

• 2. Re: After Effects CS5 - Sourcing Extra Resources
            Pierre Devereux Level 2

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the response. I followed a few other replies you had, and it seems you have been working with AE for a while now and have a very healthy respect for the package? :-)

We are starting a new company that is aimed at childrens television programs. we have sourced CS5 Production Premium, and that is why I will be using the AE software. I have been using it for around 5 days now, so the word "newbie" does not even come close! I have spent many hours online with video tutorials that teach a lot of good, basic concepts, but I believe you completely when you say that there are many vital features that seem "hidden" to the untrained eye (and mouse arrow). I will definately be looking into the link you sent, and once again, thank you for the reply and the nudge in the right direction.

Looking forward to becoming a part of the Adobe community,

Pierre Devereux

• 3. Re: After Effects CS5 - Sourcing Extra Resources
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Pierre Devereux wrote:

I have been using it for around 5 days now, so the word "newbie" does not even come close!

Au contraire, monsieur: I have been using AE since version 3.1 (not CS3) in 1995, and I would not even dare to call myself an expert user.  My knowledge some areas is very basic.

Longtime AE practitioners come to understand that the use of this piece of software is as much a journey and an extended learning experience as it is a tool to be understood and mastered.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: After Effects CS5 - Sourcing Extra Resources
                Pierre Devereux Level 2

Glad to hear it - I am finding the learning curve to be massive, but highly enjoyable.

I found some really great AE Basics tutorials after following your suggested link and thought I would add them here for anyone else following this thread :

http://forums.creativecow.net/search.php?q=andrew+devis&content=F&age=&library=T

There are many video links here, but the "Basics" set seems to be very detailed.

Home time for me, so have a great day/evening all - depending on your locations

Pierre Devereux