2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2012 9:05 AM by peter minneapolis

Adding favourite locations to InDesign ..?

Spenno Level 1

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with a CS5.5 query. I use Windows 7.

I open pretty much 9/10 documents from the same folder each day and wondered if/how I can set up a 'favourite' network folder/drive within InDesign, so that when I go to open a document through InDesign the window that comes up will already have this location stored down the left - exactly as it does when browsing files via Windows. Presently I have Recent Places; Desktop; Libraries; Computer; Network. I know I could browse and open through my desktop, but I'd prefer to just be able to navigate to them directly through InDesign, too. Can it be done?

Appreciate any help.

• 1. Re: Adding favourite locations to InDesign ..?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It can be done on a Mac using an EXCELLENT third party application called Default Folder. But, I'm not a regular Windows user and don't know if there's such a utility for Windows 7.

• 2. Re: Adding favourite locations to InDesign ..?
            peter minneapolis Level 4

Spenno wrote:

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with a CS5.5 query. I use Windows 7.

I open pretty much 9/10 documents from the same folder each day and wondered if/how I can set up a 'favourite' network folder/drive within InDesign, so that when I go to open a document through InDesign the window that comes up will already have this location stored down the left - exactly as it does when browsing files via Windows. Presently I have Recent Places; Desktop; Libraries; Computer; Network. I know I could browse and open through my desktop, but I'd prefer to just be able to navigate to them directly through InDesign, too. Can it be done?

Appreciate any help.

Steve beat me to mentioning the Mac Default Folder X utility. A quick Google search didn't show anything similar for Windows, but perhaps a better-formed search query would.

However, you might consider using InDesign's built-in features, such as:

* Set Preferences > File Handling > Saving InDesign Files > Number of Recent Items to Display, which has a limit of 30 file names

* Collect files in InDesign books. Open > Recent displays both file names and book names, so opening a book exposes a collection of names that can be in the same or different directories or on different drives and paths.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices