2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2012 2:05 PM by illucine

Need a CPU cooler that fits

illucine

I'm currently using the stock Intel cooler that came with the i7-990x and am looking for something better in order to overclock.  I have an Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard (LGA1366) with 24GB Corsair Vengeance memory (i.e. all 6 slots filled) in a Lian Li PC-A70F full tower case.  Hopefully that's all that's relevant for determining fit.  My priorities for choosing a new cooler are 1) it fits, 2) it's quiet, 3) it cools, i.e. quietness is important.  Brands I've heard good things about include Noctua, Scythe, and Coolermaster.  The problem with most coolers seems to be that they won't fit over the RAM.  The Noctua NH-C12P SE14 looks like it might and maybe some of the Zalman "donut" coolers (not sure).  Is there a way to tell if a cooler fits with a particular combination of motherboard/RAM/case without trying it?  Recommendations appreciated.

Roy

• 1. Re: Need a CPU cooler that fits
          JustinC123

If you go to Noctua's website they have a chart that lists the compatibility of various coolers and motherboards. I'm afraid I can't offer any advice as to which specific model to go for as I'm in the same situation, i.e. deciding which cooler to go for.

One make that gets very good reviews regarding noise, or rather, lack of noise, is BeQuiet. There are two models that I've recently been reading about, BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro and BeQuiet Dark Rock Advanced.

I shall be following this thread with interest

• 2. Re: Need a CPU cooler that fits
            illucine Level 1

Thanks JustinC123.  I think compatibility with my RAM is going to be more of a problem than the motherboard since the Vengance has heatsinks that stick up.  I had not heard of BeQuiet before.  They seem a little hard to come by in the US.