8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2012 9:40 AM by Jim_Simon

Preparing Music Video for Broadcast in Premiere and Encore?

OWMMusic427

I am trying to prepare a music video for broadcast in Premiere Pro. However, the specs require audio (Ch. 1-2 stereo, Ch. 3 mono Ch. 4 mono). I can't find a way to do this in Premiere Pro. I seem to be able to do this in Encore - I can create four audio tracks.

Problems so far:

1. I can only import the stereo wav file onto track 1, and have to import it again on track 2. The stereo mix isn't spread across both tracks Left/Right. Will the stereo mix appear on the correct tracks when delivered for broadcast?

2. I need to export the video as an mpeg 2 on my hard drive - not actually burn to disc. Can I export an mpeg 2 video file without burning to disc?

• 1. Re: Preparing Music Video for Broadcast in Premiere and Encore?
          Jim Curtis Level 3

Four audio tracks in Encore?  How are you going to deliver your master?

You might have to export separate tracks, or use Audition (if you have it).  You can export a mono AIF or WAV from Pr from your stereo mix.

Yes, you can make an MPEG2 without buring a disk.

Provide more info please.  I don't follow your issue on your Problem 1.

• 2. Re: Preparing Music Video for Broadcast in Premiere and Encore?
            OWMMusic427 Level 1

I am delivering the master as an mpeg 2, uploaded by FTP.

Here are the audio specs:

Stereo Left and Right audio signals must appear on channel 1 and 2 respectively

Dolby ProLogic matrixed audio (Lt /Rt) may be substituted for Stereo audio on channel 1 and 2 if desired

Monaural audio may be substituted for Stereo on channels 1 and 2, but must appear on both channels and must be in-phase.

Secondary Audio Program (SAP) if available, must appear on Channel 3, otherwise a mono mix of Channels 1 and 2 should appear on Channel 3.

Descriptive Video Service (DVS) audio, if available, must appear on Channel 3 if delivered in lieu of SAP audio

DVS must appear on Channel 4 if delivered in addition to SAP audio, otherwise a mono mix of channels 1 and 2 should appear on channel 4.

So basically, I need a Left and Right stereo on Ch. 1 and 2. And mono on 3 and 4, because I don't have SAP or DVS content.

I can create 4 audio tracks in Encore, then I import my stereo wav file and mono wav file. But when I drag the stereo wav file onto audio track 1, both channels of the stereo wav file are on track 1. I read in Encore's help files that (assuming this would be going to DVD and not an mpeg on my hard drive) only one audio track can play at a time. Each individual audio track appears to be stereo, but I don't know how they would each correspond with the requirement for Ch. 1 to be stereo left and Ch. 2 to be stereo right. As of right now, it appears that track 1 is both left and right, and I can import the same stereo wav file on track 2 seperately with both left and right audio.

The specs I'm trying to meet are Viacom/MTV which is a major outlet for music video content, so I'm assuming their requirements are reasonable enough.

As for making an MPEG2 from Encore without burning a disc, here is the format:

Container: MXF OP1a (SMPTE 378M)

Resolution: 1920x1080i (interlaced) 16x9 aspect ratio

Encoding: MPEG2, High Profile@ High Level 4:2:2, 50Mbps Long GOP, CBR, 29.97 frames per second (59.94 fields per second)

Audio: Uncompressed 2-, 4-, 12- or 16-channel audio, 24bit @48khz, BWF (SMPTE 382M). All audio channels must be contained within 1 MXF track.

Not sure how to export from Encore - only options I am seeing involve burning to DVD or Blu-Ray.

I really appreciate your help thus far!

• 3. Re: Preparing Music Video for Broadcast in Premiere and Encore?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't export a 4 channel mix from Premiere Pro.  You're only options are mono, stereo or 5.1.  To get what you need here, you'll have to export out three separate audio tracks - 1 stereo, and two mono.  You'll then need to use a separate non-Adobe program to mux those audio files with the video file to create just one 4 track A/V file.

You will not use Encore at all for your purposes.

• 4. Re: Preparing Music Video for Broadcast in Premiere and Encore?
                rejdmast1 Level 2

"Not sure how to export from Encore - only options I am seeing involve burning"

Use AME  File > Export > Format = MPEG2 >Profile 4:2:2, Level=high.  Set your rate, etc.

• 5. Re: Preparing Music Video for Broadcast in Premiere and Encore?
                  OWMMusic427 Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

You can't export a 4 channel mix from Premiere Pro.  You're only options are mono, stereo or 5.1.  To get what you need here, you'll have to export out three separate audio tracks - 1 stereo, and two mono.  You'll then need to use a separate non-Adobe program to mux those audio files with the video file to create just one 4 track A/V file.

You will not use Encore at all for your purposes.

Any recommendations for a separate program? I really can't afford to spend as much as I just spent on CS5. I was hoping it would do all that I needed.

• 6. Re: Preparing Music Video for Broadcast in Premiere and Encore?
                    OWMMusic427 Level 1

rejdmast1 wrote:

"Not sure how to export from Encore - only options I am seeing involve burning"

Use AME  File > Export > Format = MPEG2 >Profile 4:2:2, Level=high.  Set your rate, etc.

I'll try this, although it may not matter now if Adobe can't output audio in the format I need. Thanks though - I'll take a look just for my own curiosity.

• 7. Re: Preparing Music Video for Broadcast in Premiere and Encore?
                      Jim Curtis Level 3

OWMMusic427 wrote:

Audio: Uncompressed 2-, 4-, 12- or 16-channel audio, 24bit @48khz, BWF (SMPTE 382M). All audio channels must be contained within 1 MXF track.

You can use AME to make your MPEG2, as has been suggested.  You can also export that right out of Pr.

The 4-track BWF MXF is the one that stumps me. 

You can export a stereo AIF from Pr.  You can export a mono AIF of your mix (be sure to reduce the volume by -3 to compensate for the increase in volume you'll get by summing two tracks into one).  But, I don't know how you'd get those into a 4-track BWF (Broadcast WAV File, which is a WAV with metadata or time-code) MXF.  I think you will need some other app for that.  I found MXF Muxer by Googling.  Maybe that will work.  Maybe not.

If you have a contact at MTV, why don't you ping them and ask for some assistance. 

• 8. Re: Preparing Music Video for Broadcast in Premiere and Encore?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Any recommendations for a separate program?

Sorry, no.  I've never had to do this myself.

Might be time to start Googling.