9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2012 2:04 PM by nealeh

Trimming

extrastep17

How do I easily trim a scene  in Elements 10?  I'm using the split button but it is very hard and extremely inprecise as to where I'm splitting and trimming.  It takes me 1/3 of a second in Edius to trim a scene.  Looking for similar shortcut

• 1. Re: Trimming
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are several ways to Trim a Clip.

First, if one Dbl-clicks the Clip in the Project Panel, it will be opened into the Source Monitor, where the In & Out Points can be set. Then, one would just drag from the Source Monitor to the Timeline. Note: if they have a long Clip, they can change the In & Out points, again and again, and drag Instances of it to the Timeline.

Next, one can drag the Clip from the Project Panel to the Timeline, and Click+drag on the Head, and/or the Tail, to set the In & Out Points.

Third, one can do, as you have, and drag the Clip to the Timeline, to Cut it, perhaps removing segments of it. If one places the CTI (Current Time Indicator w/ the red Edit Line, and often referred to as the Playhead), the Scissors/Razor Tool will Snap (providing that Snap is toggled ON), to the CTI, when the cursor gets near it. Or, they can use Ctrl+K, to do the Cut, right at the CTI.

Good luck, and while each does the same thing, some folk like working with one vs another.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trimming
            extrastep17 Level 1

I appreciate yoiur reply Bill but I can't believe there is no shortcut where with one keyboard letter say, 3 seconds into the scene, it will start where I paused and with another keystroke, say another 4 seconds later, this will end the scene with one stroke.  I can't start dragging and cutting and deleting 200 clips of a wedding.  And it seems very vague where I pause the CTI as it will slide along on it's own for another fraction or two of a second.

There's just nothing like ediitng on what you've started on. 

Frustrated already and I just downloaded it an hour ago.  There goes $100.

• 3. Re: Trimming
              the_wine_snob Level 9

In the Source Monitor, you can also hit the I (eye) key, to set the In Point, and then the O (oh) key, to set the Out Point. When set, just click+drag from the Source Monitor to the Timeline, to get a Trimmed Instance of that Clip into the Timeline. Remember, you can have any number of Instances of a Clip.

If you have paused at a point, before, or beyond your desired point, the arrow keys will step you, Frame by Frame, to the exact point that you want.

As for editing on what one started with, I might disagree. I began with film, 40 years ago, but did not really do Video, until about Pinnacle Studio 4. Went to Studio 10, and gave up for Avid Liquid. That lasted for about one year, and then I went to PrPro, and never looked back. With some exceptions, PrE works almost like PrPro, and I would never give them up.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Trimming
                extrastep17 Level 1

Ok, then I have to hit the delete gap --a few times there was indeed a gap and the delete gap prompt was gray and I couldn't delete it...what was that?...Bill: do you not agree that simply hitting the M on your keyboard and it automatically trimming the end of your scene (takes 1/2 second) is quicker than setting an outpoint in a different monitor, dragging it back on the timeline and then deleting a gap?  And is this sofware auto-correcting...I had a nice dark deep rich DSLR scene and it lightened and grained it up so much it looks horrible.  What's going on here?

Thanks...Andy

• 5. Re: Trimming
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have Audio, or Video above/below the gap, you cannot Ripple Delete the Gap.

As for the editing workflow, I use my Source Monitor, and set the In & Out Points, for each Instance, and it works perfectly for my. My PrPro has another Monitor - the Trim Monitor, and it is used more often for 4-point Editing, but I do not use that often. Much depends on how one likes to work. That is one of the reasons that Premiere usually offers many ways to accomplish the same thing - different people, and different workflows.

Not sure which NLE program you are referring to with the "M Key," or where that is applied in that NLE. For me, hitting the I, or O key seems pretty simple, but obviously, I am missing something very important here.

Sorry that I could not help,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Trimming
                    nealeh Level 5
                    • re your comment (hard and imprecise) zoom right into your clip to the individual frame level for maximum precision.
                    • Use Spacebar to stop and start the video.
                    • Use [Ctrl]+[K] to split the video.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: Trimming
                      extrastep17 Level 1

Thanks...do you know how to turn off any and all auto-correction features...I don't want my video enhanced in any way...

Andy Kershenblatt

ExtraStep Video Productions

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

www.extrastep.com

View our latest video samples:

http://www.extrastep.com/browse-some-of-our-work.html

• 8. Re: Trimming
                        extrastep17 Level 1

Do you know how to turn off any auto-correction features that may be changing the look of my video..thnx...

Andy Kershenblatt

ExtraStep Video Productions

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

www.extrastep.com

View our latest video samples:

http://www.extrastep.com/browse-some-of-our-work.html

• 9. Re: Trimming
                          nealeh Level 5

As far as I know there are no auto-corrections applied at any time to your video.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children