3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2012 5:44 AM by Rick Gerard

Help - DV-Pal 720x576 Anamorpic ??

Devoteez Level 1

I got a request to output a small video I did in this format but I´m unsure of what settings I´m suppose to use. It might seem self explanatory to many of you, but it seems I can change these settings on so many places, it confuses the hell out of me.

Currently I use:

Comp preset: PAL D1/DV Widescreen

Comp. pixel aspect ratio: PAL D1/DV Widescreen (1.46)

I guess my pixel aspect ratio should be set to Anamorphic instead, but then everything looks extremly wide? I mean, a lot wider than widescreen.

Then I can render this in a whole lot of ways aswell, should I use the same settings as my comp or should I use resize in any way?

/Confused about all the options

• 1. Re: Help - DV-Pal 720x576 Anamorpic ??
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just use the presets. The preset picks the par and frame rate for the comp. Don't mess with them unless you know exactly what you're doing.

If there's video footage involved or stills (photos) then you have to know exactly what the specs are. After Effects can misinterpret frame rates, pixel aspect ratios and interlacing of standard frame sized images and footage. Generally AE is right, but DV codecs don't usually contain PAR info so widescreen footage could be misinterpreted as standard 4X3 and stills that are sized to standard non square pixel frame sizes, like PAL, NTSC, or some flavors of HDV may be mis interpreted as rectangular pixels with they are actually square pixels. Let me say this one more time. You have to know what kind of footage you have before you go messing with file interpretation.

I prefer to work in square pixels. You'll have to ask the client what codec and settings they want for delivery. There are so many options that you'd be crazy to guess.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help - DV-Pal 720x576 Anamorpic ??
            Devoteez Level 1

I dont use any footage, it´s just a psd-background with text and some logos fading on top of it.

If I use pixel aspect ratio: anamorphic (they want anamorphic footage so I guess I should have this turned on in comp settings?), the film looks squished if I dont use pixel aspect ratio correction. But I guess that doesnt effect the rendering?

• 3. Re: Help - DV-Pal 720x576 Anamorpic ??
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No such thing as PAL anamorphic. There's only PAL DV(4X3 basically) or PAL Widescreen (16X9 basically) or their square pixel equivalent. There's nothing to keep you from letterboxing the widescreen comp to get a picture that's 2.35 or what ever widescreen frame ratio you want. PAL's final output will always be 720 X 576 pixels and 25 fps and standard (1.09 PAR) or widescreen (1.46 PAR) because that's what a PAL system is. Both of these frame sizes must be converted to square pixels to remove the distortion when played on a computer monitor.

I'd do all the production in square pixels and only use PAL frame size for final output using the AME or Encore. You'll be much happier with the result.