5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 4:53 AM by canihaveascreennameplease

Redaction

canihaveascreennameplease

A colleague of mine is using the redaction tool in Acrobat Pro 9 and she is expeirencing an odd error.

She selects an area to redact and after applying the effect, the entire page goes blank (white) whilst the redacted area is in black as it should be.

Is there any reason why this is happening?

When we use the OCR feature and then use the redact tool the error doesn't occur anymore. However, this isn't a decent solution as the quality on the page is lowered whenever the OCR tool is used.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

• 1. Re: Redaction
          dave_m_k Adobe Employee

Good day,

It sounds like the text on the file isn't renderable at first, so when your colleague is applying to the redaction, there's no actual data for the tool to latch onto.

The redaction tool is meant for use on renderable text, so just make sure you OCR your document first.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

David

Adobe Systems

• 2. Re: Redaction
            try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The redaction tool is meant for use on renderable text, so just make sure you OCR your document first.

The redaction tool works perfectly well with non-renderable text as well.

• 3. Re: Redaction
              canihaveascreennameplease Level 1

Thanks for the fast replies. I am left slightly confused now though. In Acrobat Pro X the redaction tool works perfectly well on non renderable text / images.

My colleague with her Acrobat Pro 9 is trying to redact images from various PDFs from various sources yet the entire page goes blank when redaction is applied? To clarify she isn't attempting to accurately highlight text and redact it. Merely select a zone over an image to black out / redact it.

Whilst David's answer would make sense, it doesn't seem to apply based off my experience of redaction in Acrobat Pro X, Try67's reply seems consistent with this and it would surprise me if Redaction only works on PDFs that are OCR'd as that affect quality quite severly.

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Redaction
                dave_m_k Adobe Employee

Good day,

My answer was a bit hasty and frankly, incorrect.  My apologies. 

try67's assertion regarding the tool working perfectly well with non-renderable text is correct.

Do you know what version of Acrobat 9 your colleague has installed? I am unable to duplicate the behavior you described w/ Acrobat Pro Extended 9.5 on a WinXP SP3 environment.

Again, I apologize for the misinformation I provided earlier.  Hopefully we can find a resolution to this issue.

David

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Redaction
                  canihaveascreennameplease Level 1

No Problem at all

I've actually mis-informed you. It turns out its just two specific PDFs that we've been sent that have this problem. It happens on both my colleagues Acrobat 9 (which ill get a specific version number for you later) and my Acrobat X.

It seems very odd that just wanting to place a black box over something results in the entire page being wiped. I guess its most likley an issue with whoever authored the PDF. Even so, any ideas would be welcome.

I'll attach the problem files once i've been given permission that we're allowed to.

Many thanks,

Alan O