12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 4:03 PM by Peter Spier

CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke

Creative-Fallout Level 1

I am running CS 5.5 and I need to be able to turn all my text into outlines.  Now, before I get slammed for doing this, I send most of my material over seas and converting the text to outlines is pretty much a requirement.

My issue is that when I do "Create Outlines" in InDesign, it automatically reduces the stroke width of all my text. Also, if I have it set to stroke to the outside of the text, it defaults to center.  If I try to change the converted text back to outside stroke it goes all crazy, not giving me a uniform stroke.

Is there a fix for this or a different way for me to convert my text and have the stroke attributes left alone?

• 1. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I send a lot of printing overseas as well, and also used to get this (outlined text request) often. It always created problems in the file; there are lots of things that can get messed up or lost this way. I lobbied to change to sending press-quality PDF files instead, and it's been working great; none of our vendors there have a problem with it.

No more converting text to outlines, and no more problems with disappearing text effects and text box colors.

• 2. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke
            Creative-Fallout Level 1

So, if I send a layered Hi Res PDF I can keep the text as text and not create outlines?  IF they can print from he PDF that is?  There won't be any "no fonts" problems?

• 3. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke

I haven't had any no-fonts problems. (The fonts are imbedded in the PDF). Be sure to include bleeds and crop marks. I have always used the press-quality preset, with the modification of adding bleeds, crop marks and page information. I've seen a lot of people here recommend PDF/X, but I don't know enough about the difference to advise you there.

• 4. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

ID automatically embeds fonts, unless they are restricted (in which case you should avoid using them), and this totally removes the need to send any fonts and avoids licensing or version hassles.

If you absolutley must outline, do it via transparency flattening to preserve the appearance. See details at Possible bug: oulining text w/ flattener in CS5

• 5. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke
                  Creative-Fallout Level 1

That link is broken.

I did find another page on it:

http://indesignsecrets.com/converting-text-to-outlines-the-right-way.php

Unfortunately it does not seem to work.

Also, I NEED to have layers in my PDFs. I cant have everything flattened on one layer.

• 6. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke
                    TwitchOSX Level 1

Why the heck is everybody sending print jobs overseas???

• 7. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke
                      Creative-Fallout Level 1

I don't have a choice. My company does most of its manufacturing over seas. So, the package design has to go there to.

• 8. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke

Where I work, all printing is run through the Purchasing Department, and they choose where to send the print jobs.

• 9. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke
                          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are stuck.

I, too, am sometimes forced by my clients to convert all text to outlines. We're a translation provider, so my clients often want to be able to open up their InDesign files to adjust graphics without any fear of dropped fonts or human error damaging their translations. I don't know why you need to apply a stroke to text (are you faking bold?) but you can't include reliance on applying strokes to text in any workflow that relies on having all text converted to curves/outlines at the end of the project.

I've seen some workarounds of varying degrees of quality that worked okay in unique circumstances, but nothing that is a one-shot solution.

The link you posted - there is at least one thread on these forums about that link & how about that technique no longer works in CS5 or CS5.5, I can't recall exactly. I do remember that a particularly helpful & knowledgable Adobe employee pointed out that the fact that this method worked to convert all text to outlines was basically a workaround or hack - that what you were realy doing was flattening transparency, which converted type to outlines as a side-effect. So it would be useless to you in any event if you must retain layers in your PDF.

If you are, as I suspect, adding stroke to fake a boldface that you don't have (or that doesn't exist), try another technique - perhaps you can use a font editor to actually generate a font with the effect you're trying to get with the stroke. If you're using stroke as a visual effect, then you may be able to dupe & stack - set your stroked phrase without stroke, create outlines, duplicate, and then add stroke, then place it behind the first outlined word in the stacking order, then manually (using the direct select tool) play with the curves until it looks okay.

As I said before, I've seen a variety of workarounds, and if you can post a sample of what you are trying to do then perhaps I or one of the other forums readers can figure out a trick to suggest to you.

• 10. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke
                            TwitchOSX Level 1

Heres the fix. Do the stuff with outlines in Illustrator, save as an AI or PDF file and bring into InDesign for placement. It handles strokes a lot better than InDesign. It baffles me how they STILL haven't fixed this issue in InDesign yet but I know your headaches. Sometimes I have to PDF a document that is using a "restricted" font so I have to convert it to outlines. If it has a stroke on it, it goes to hell.

• 11. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke
                              Creative-Fallout Level 1

If you are, as I suspect, adding stroke to fake a boldface that you don't have (or that doesn't exist), try another technique - perhaps you can use a font editor to actually generate a font with the effect you're trying to get with the stroke. If you're using stroke as a visual effect, then you may be able to dupe & stack - set your stroked phrase without stroke, create outlines, duplicate, and then add stroke, then place it behind the first outlined word in the stacking order, then manually (using the direct select tool) play with the curves until it looks okay...............

Normally I don't fake boldface. I do use alot of 2 color visuals like you mention above. And I Do dupe the set up and stroke the under phrase.  The issue is when I convert the duped and stacked text to outlines the bottom stroked text reverts.

I deal with quite a bit of "advertising" text in my package designs and I need the ability to change that text as the approval process goes. 

I can use Illustrator, but for files with multiple layers and text it gets a bit clunky.  Not nearly as "right click intuitive" as Indesign.

• 12. Re: CS 5.5 Create Outlines text messes with stroke
                                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Creative-Fallout wrote:

That link is broken.

I did find another page on it:

http://indesignsecrets.com/converting-text-to-outlines-the-right-way.p hp

Unfortunately it does not seem to work.

Also, I NEED to have layers in my PDFs. I cant have everything flattened on one layer.

Jive is at it again...

Use http://forums.adobe.com/message/2897983#2897983 and DO look at that becasue it explains what you need to do in CS5 to make it work.