2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2008 9:00 AM by Newsgroup_User

AS3 vs Lingo

Level 7
      This question is directed to those of you who program in Flash and Director.
      Is Flash CS3 any good? Hmm, kind of a loaded open-ended question, let me be
      a bit more specific. I like that the Flash player has such a broad user base
      and I'm currently in the planning stage for a ongoing series of online
      educational games. In Director I could code the base in less than two days
      and propagate future games (import new media, database questions, etc. and
      have .dcr file uploaded) in under three minutes.

The last time I looked at Flash, which was many, many years ago, everything
      seemed to take twice as long to develop, string parsing was a joke, and the
      handling of raster images was a nightmare, as well, everything seemed to
      need some sort of workaround or fake. Has it improved? If so, I may take the
      time to learn Flash for future online projects. I've heard good things about
      AS3, but not from someone who also uses Director.

Any thoughts/direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
      Sean

• 1. Re: AS3 vs Lingo
          Level 7
          Sean,

It's all about complexity. Lingo is pretty lose programming language. I
          allows you to write code easy way as it uses behind-the-scene type
          casting as well as it's object-orientation is very superficial.

In a contrary, AS3 requires strict datatypes, stiff naming conventions
          and it is pretty deep in object-oriented programming. Actually, AS3 is
          much stronger beast than Lingo - no wonder riding it is more demanding...

The only problem with AS3 is... users. Many Flash users look for simple,
          user friendly tool for simple programming tasks while AS3 is
          full-fledged language like Java or C#. It is not the best choice for
          Sunday-afternoon programmers. But if you get familiar with it, you will
          enjoy its versatility and speed. Lingo is fast too, but not that
          versatile as AS3 is.

Another point is absolutely awful Flash debugging... Adobe should really
          work on improving that point as existing Flash debugging tools are
          programmer's disaster.

Regards,
          Ziggi
          • 2. Re: AS3 vs Lingo
            Level 7
            Thanks Ziggi,

I'll definitely give it a run. I've seen the AS3 structure and liked what I
            saw, I just wasn't sure about the package and workflow as a whole.

Thanks,
            Sean

"Ziggi" <ziggi@z_i_g_g_i.pl> wrote in message
            news:fu3e14$kr0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Sean,
            >
            > It's all about complexity. Lingo is pretty lose programming language. I
            > allows you to write code easy way as it uses behind-the-scene type
            > casting as well as it's object-orientation is very superficial.
            >
            > In a contrary, AS3 requires strict datatypes, stiff naming conventions
            > and it is pretty deep in object-oriented programming. Actually, AS3 is
            > much stronger beast than Lingo - no wonder riding it is more demanding...
            >
            > The only problem with AS3 is... users. Many Flash users look for simple,
            > user friendly tool for simple programming tasks while AS3 is
            > full-fledged language like Java or C#. It is not the best choice for
            > Sunday-afternoon programmers. But if you get familiar with it, you will
            > enjoy its versatility and speed. Lingo is fast too, but not that
            > versatile as AS3 is.
            >
            > Another point is absolutely awful Flash debugging... Adobe should really
            > work on improving that point as existing Flash debugging tools are
            > programmer's disaster.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Ziggi