10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2012 3:30 PM by anthonyienco

Color Balance Issue importing from DV Deck Via Firewire...

anthonyienco

The fact that searching google and this formum has lead to me finding NO results, I am wondering whether anyone has or is experiencing similar issues..

For some time now, I have been having this issue, which I just realized is not normal. I have a Sony DV Cam Deck which I use to import via Firewire to Premiere CS5.5. Attached to the Sony Deck I also have a small monitor connected to the composite video output.

The color and white balance look fine on the small monitor, however on the import via firewire, there is tinge through it almost like an incorrect white balance.

YES, I have calibrated and Re-Calibrated my Computer monitors using Spyder3 and when viewing photos and other video not imported through the deck, the color is great.. .It is NOT a problem with the Deck because the SAME thing happens with a friends Deck. I am just using the standard Firewire import on the ASUS Motherboard, although I do have a Blackmagic Studio2 card. This does not really come into it during firewire import....

As I said, now that I realized, this has been happening for 2 years or more. I was always color correcting the camera mans footage thinking his whitebalance was out, but after now attaching an external monitor to the Deck whilst firewire import, I notice the color is fine on the monitor. I am in PAL land Australia, but it happens with NTSC footage as well...

Anyone ever experienced this or know of this issue????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks Tony.

• 1. Re: Color Balance Issue importing from DV Deck Via Firewire...
          SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Hi Tony,

I'm not sure how it would be possible for the color to be changed when doing a Firewire capture, because it is a DATA TRANSFER. The ones and zeros on the tape are being transfered to your hard drive verbatim.

Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Color Balance Issue importing from DV Deck Via Firewire...
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I have calibrated and Re-Calibrated my Computer monitors using Spyder3

That's not really relevant, as you should never use the computer monitor for this type of work.

Always use a properly calibrated external TV for color correction and quality control.  How it looks there is all that matters.

• 3. Re: Color Balance Issue importing from DV Deck Via Firewire...
              PmPhotographic Level 2

Hi

How about removing the monitors from the equation.  If you use the Vectorscope and RGB Parade meters,do they suggest any sort of colour cast/imbalance?

• 4. Re: Color Balance Issue importing from DV Deck Via Firewire...
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Tony,

Jeff has given you the correct answer: Capturing is nothing more than a data transfer and nothing is modified during that transfer. Something else may be going on but not the capture and not PR.

• 5. Re: Color Balance Issue importing from DV Deck Via Firewire...
                  anthonyienco Level 1

All of the above responses, I fully understand and could'nt agree more with, but the situation is evident.. I do understand about not using  the computer monitors as reference, but as well as the computer monitors, I also have a Sony External monitor on the OUTPUT of the computer (So when I am editing on the timeline, I can see this on an external monitor as well as the pc monitor). This runs through the Decklink studio card. But even there, the colours match the computer NOT the original tape..

I admit it is really strange. And for a couple of years I have just accepted it as being a white balance issue on the cameramans behalf. It is only now, since I replaced my DV Deck for a NEW one, and the issue is still there, that I think somthing else is going on...

I was always under the understanding, as you all mention, that a transfer from firewire is a straight digital process with no alteration... Perhaps the only thing I can try is PMPhotographics suggestion, using the Vectrascope..

I will keep investigating.. At least now I know it is not somthing others have experienced and hence an issue here that I need to address..

I will keep you all posted and any other suggestions of course, MORE than welcome.. Thank you all for you time..

• 6. Re: Color Balance Issue importing from DV Deck Via Firewire...
                    PmPhotographic Level 2

I have a few other questions etc

Is the source footage always from the same camera

When you say a friends deck showed the same issue, is this deck the same make/model as yours?

What colour do you think the tinge is?

Have you rendered any of the footage (without adding an effect) and played back on another source, such as a TV?  (Seeing you say you have had this issue for some time, I'm assuming that corrected, rendered material is fine)

Regards

• 7. Re: Color Balance Issue importing from DV Deck Via Firewire...
                      anthonyienco Level 1

The footage is mainly from the same camera, although occasionally I edit two camera shoots so the other camera is a different model, but this also has a different colour balance after imported.. I have used two identical Sony decks, and my latest acquirsition is a Sony HDV Deck that will natuarally play both. I get the same results from all three decks.

Yes I have rendered footage with no correction or effects and watched it back on a Sony TV/Monitor. Colour is out.

I suppose the tinge looks exactly like an incorrect colour temperature setting, but i know it is correct because when I playback the deck directly into a TV through composite it is fine. Example Warm tone Beige Curtains in a Reception Center look like they have a bad green Cast. Skin tones are no where near natural, again a green cast. I am not sure what is going on..

But yes, it has been there for a couple of years and it just hit me like a tone of bricks after getting this new deck. On previous decks, I never had a monitor connected to the composite and only monitored through the firewire so I always assumed the colour white balance on the cameramans camera is out. WHen I set this deck up, I put a montior on the composite. Yesterday as I was importing source footage, I glanced over and it amazed me to see that the composite monitor on the deck had beautiful rich acurate colour on it, whilst what was coming in on the pc screen, even after playing it back on the TV/Monitor, was horrible.

So I thought, Hell all these years I have been spending hours colour correcting footage that was ok to start with but lost somting in the transfer?? HOW?? I haven't got a clue.. It really doesnt make sence and I am still trying different experiments. I am now going to import through the component and svideo outputs of the deck, to see what results I get... I will post that later.. Thank you all.

• 8. Re: Color Balance Issue importing from DV Deck Via Firewire...
                        PmPhotographic Level 2

Hi, did you check what the scopes said?

Regards

• 9. Re: Color Balance Issue importing from DV Deck Via Firewire...
                          Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the calibration of your Decklink card correct?

If you are in NTSC land and using the composite input is the tint control correct?

Richard Knight

• 10. Re: Color Balance Issue importing from DV Deck Via Firewire...
                            anthonyienco Level 1

I am in Pal land, however didnt think to check the that setting. I am updating to the latest drivers 9.2 today, so will try that..

Scope showed there was a tinge during import HOWEVER, it has now seemed to get much better after import.. There is a still a slight tinge but acceptable...

During import it is still HORRIBLE, however once captured on preview and timeline it is acceptable.. I dont quite understand what is happening as I have used all the same tapes etc etc... I hate it when things happen and there seem to be no explanation then they correct themselves without knowing what was going on in the first place..

The composite and svideo imports were fiine even in capture so there may be some issue with my firewire on the motherboard.. I might buy another firewire card and install and try that...

thanks for all your assistance and will continue to keep you posted....

Tony