7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 3:41 PM by Jim Curtis

Output Video Is Ghosted, Mirrored and Upside Down!

literally_figurative

Posted this in the Media Encoder forum since I don't know where this fits best....

Not sure if this is Media Encoder or Premiere...

I made a videdo, about 4 minutes long. It's transcoded ProRes, on a PC, version 5,5 of the suite.

Basically when I was finished, I made a duplicate of the sequence and added some Magic Bullet Looks to all the video clips. I sent that to export. I also exported what I duplicated from, which did not have any colour correction, but a few clips had some denoising. Sent both versions to Media Encoder. The Colour corrected version shows a ghost image of the video, mirrored and upside down. Very strange.

Settings for export were the same for both, .h264, vimeo settings. Changed the framerates to 23, and set to render max quality, as well as to a CBR of 10Mbps.

Any idea what could be causing this?

My first sequence exported fine.

• 1. Re: Output Video Is Ghosted, Mirrored and Upside Down!
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Posted this in the Media Encoder forum since I don't know where this fits best....

Let's keep it here for now.  Thanks for noting the location of your other topic.  Duplicate deleted.

Jeff

• 2. Re: Output Video Is Ghosted, Mirrored and Upside Down!
            literally_figurative Level 1

Sure thing. I exported another version of the Colour Corrected video and it exported fine. I am inclined to think it is Media Encoder. Would still be interested to know what would have caused that. If this were a longer project and on a deadline, having to do it over could have meant trouble.

• 3. Re: Output Video Is Ghosted, Mirrored and Upside Down!
              Jim Curtis Level 3

The Colour corrected version shows a ghost image of the video, mirrored and upside down. Very strange.

I'll say.  First thing I'd try is deleting Pr prefs (hold alt while launching), and try again.

BTW, is this on your desktop, or through a third-party video io?

Changed the framerates to 23

That just seems to be asking for trouble.  Why did you do that?

• 4. Re: Output Video Is Ghosted, Mirrored and Upside Down!

This is my desktop.

The footage is 23.976 frames, according to premiere. That's what I chose for the sequence frame rate as well. The Vimeo preset is 29, so I changed it to match the footage. Should I leave it be?

Will try the Alt trick. I'm tempted to do that to launch premiere by default.

Sent from my BlackBerry® device from Digicel

• 5. Re: Output Video Is Ghosted, Mirrored and Upside Down!
                  Jim Curtis Level 3

You had me concerned when you said "23."  People often use 24 and 23.976 interchangeably, but not that.

I've never tried changing the frame rate in the Export module.  I suppose it's possible. 

Are you sure Vimeo won't accept 23.976?  The web is inherently progressive, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to require people to add 3:2 pulldown and then deinterlace.   The same length video file will be smaller at 24 than 30 (using shorthand for 29.97).

I'd leave it at 23.976, submit it to Vimeo, and see what happens (after you get your upside down mirroring fixed).

• 6. Re: Output Video Is Ghosted, Mirrored and Upside Down!

Apologies for using 23 and not specifing.

Not ashamed to ask - what exactly is pulldown?

What are you talking about with the 3:2? I just changed the preset

framerate from 29.9 FPS to 23.976. Vimeo has never given me trouble when

doing this. From this thread in the Vimeo forums, changing the framerate

should be fine. http://vimeo.com/forums/topic:34581

Or maybe there's some confusion? The weird mirrored, ghosting, glitchy

video was what happened right out of Media Encoder, so obviously I did not

bother uploading it.

I usually changed the framerate in export to match footage and had no

problems. Is there any reason I should NOT do this? For example, I would

also do this when I export DSLR footage to MPEG-2 DVD, in the export

settings I change to 23.976

• 7. Re: Output Video Is Ghosted, Mirrored and Upside Down!
                      Jim Curtis Level 3

Look on Wikipedia for "3:2 pulldown."  It's not easy to explain.  It's math.  And math is the reason that changing frame rates from 23.976p to 29.97p can cause problems, because the LCD isn't an integer.  Going from 30 FPS to 15 is easier.  You either drop or blend every other frame.  Not so easy when you have to fit 1.25 frames from the source to every frame on the destination.

If changing the frame rate on export has worked on your Vimeos before, then my apologies for doubting.  About the only time I alter the native frame rate is to halve it from 30 to 15 for review movies not for distribution, where I don't mind if it looks bad.