• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merged CHM Search Problem

Mar 25, 2008 Mar 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RH v7 on Windows XP.

I have a master project that includes a secondary merged CHM. I have published both CHMs to the same directory.

When I open the master project, the secondary TOC shows up and functions as expected. When I do a search, results from both projects are returned....the "Location" column on the search window indicates the origin of the matching topic.

When another user tries the same test, their results are different. For them, everything works except for the search. The secondary TOC is being built into the master TOC correctly...and the secondary topics are displayed correctly in the main frame. But when the user does a search, only results from the master project are returned.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Mar 25, 2008 Mar 25, 2008
Hi, Dave,

If you open the project (.hhp) file for the master help file in a text editor like Notepad, does the [MERGE FILES] section specify the absolute path to the secondary help file? If so, you need to change this to a relative path and then recompile.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave. Have you seen this behaviour or are you just passing on info. If it works for you, it is either a user error on behalf of the other user or there is some set-up issue. Have you checked they have the same versions of the files you have? If they open the secondary file and search the same keyword can they find it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Colum -
Thanks for the reply.

To answer your question, I have seen the odd behavior personally. The "other user" is in my department. We discovered the oddity during our internal testing.

Also, if they open the secondary CHM independently, they can search successfully for the phrase.

Thanks,
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And they have the exact same files and have entered exactly the same search? Did you try the search on the secondary file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I just double-checked.

Same versions of the file. Same search string.

The search works if the secondary file is opened independently.

The only difference is that my files are on my C:\ drive, and their copies are on their C:\ drive. We both copied them from the same network directory (we currently don't access CHMs on the network directly because of the MS security patches).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Dave,

If you open the project (.hhp) file for the master help file in a text editor like Notepad, does the [MERGE FILES] section specify the absolute path to the secondary help file? If so, you need to change this to a relative path and then recompile.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Pete -
Thanks a million....that solved the problem.
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an aside, it has been my experience that RoboHelp will use that absolute path again the next time you compile after making changes in your project. You'll need to fix the HHP every time. It's become part of our process, really. Just something to remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 26, 2008 Mar 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi, Lucas -
Thanks. I see what you mean. Looks like 1 more step to add to our process.
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp