5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 12:05 PM by the_wine_snob

How to freeze position of tracks in PE 10

aeaanli

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Adobe Premiere Elements. The project I'm editing includes five video clips

• 1. Re: How to freeze position of tracks in PE 10
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't understand the question

More information needed for someone to help

-http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

• 2. Re: How to freeze position of tracks in PE 10
            aeaanli Level 1

Sorry!

The thread was posted before I finished my typing.

I'm editing five video clips with one background soundtrack. I cropped the video clips, synched them with soundtrack and placed them at proper postion. The problem I encountered is when I tried to adjust the length for these video clips or insert another video clip, the position for other clips shifts accordingly. This is not desired, since they are already synched with soundtrack.

How can I fix or freeze the position for the video clips in one track? No matter what I do to other clips, the position doesn't change.

Thanks,

Li

• 3. Re: How to freeze position of tracks in PE 10
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, PrE, at least through version 10, does not have Track Locking. That has been a feature request that many have asked for, since at least version 4.

Now, to make adjustments in Insert Edit Mode (as opposed to the default Ripple Edit Mode), just hold down the CTRL modifier key, when making your changes, and the edits will not Ripple later Clips.

Hope that helps, and hope that in PrE 11, Adobe will add Track Locking, like the function in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How to freeze position of tracks in PE 10
                aeaanli Level 1

Well, that's really discouraging. I would guess that's an important feature for video editting, at least for me, a new user.

Thanks for your reply!

Li

• 5. Re: How to freeze position of tracks in PE 10
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I also agree on how important full Track Locking is. I use it all of the time in PrPro, and miss it, when working in PrE.

I feel that PrE could benefit from full Track Targeting, such as PrPro has, so that, for instance, when one creates a New Title, they could identify exaclty where it will go, by Targeting a particular Track, and placing the CTI (Current Time Indicator/Playhead), where they want that New Title to go. PrE simplifies things a bit too much for me, but their philosophy probably works for the vast majority of users, and my method would possibly confuse many new users. I also like PrPro's function, where New Titles are ONLY created in the Project Panel, and are not automatically added to the Timeline. I can then just click+drag my Title to exactly where I want it, whether as an Insert, or an overlay.

However, I can understand why Adobe chooses to do things one way in PrE, and another in PrPro (besides the vast differences in the cost of the two programs), in that the user-bases for the two NLE's, is quite different.

Good luck,

Hunt