8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2013 7:11 PM by CaptSaltyJack

Premiere Pro CS5.5 Crashes When Opening Files Containing Footage!

cueser

This issue popped up randomly and affects 2 different computers.

First:  I'm on a Mac with 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 12GB of 800 MHz RAM.  And I have the updated 5.5.2 Premiere Pro.

Here's what I know.

I can create a new project after opening Premiere CS5.5

I can save that project with nothing in it and open it again.

If I import footage and save the project, Premiere will crash when trying to reopen that project.

I can open some old CS5 projects and it will convert to CS5.5 for me... But when I close and reopen, CS5.5 will crash.

Same thing happens when I open the same files on a different mac (same specs) with 5.5.2 Premiere Pro.

***Here's the kicker - If I create a new login for my mac, and open those projects, they open just fine.

I've searched all over the place for an answer and have found none. PLEASE HELP!  What am I missing?  THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Here is the beginning of my crash log.

Process:     Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 [2058]
      Path:        /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5
      Identifier:  com.adobe.AdobePremierePro
      Version:     5.5.2 (5.5.2)
      Code Type:   X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [526]

Date/Time:   2012-03-30 11:17:15.981 -0500
      OS Version:  Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:      19128172 sec
      Crashes Since Last Report:       142

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  1856 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   14

Anonymous UUID:                  C75196FA-D54C-4BBA-BE9A-3A4F53E016EA

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   com.apple.CoreFoundation 
      0x00007fff87309568 CFRetain + 200
      1   com.apple.CoreFoundation 
      0x00007fff87312ca5 __CFBasicHashAddValue + 53
      2   com.apple.CoreFoundation 
      0x00007fff87312b2f CFBasicHashAddValue + 191

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Crashes When Opening Files Containing Footage!
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Well, the first idea that comes to mind is that somehow your local account has become corrupted.

So...do what works.  Create and use the new account.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Crashes When Opening Files Containing Footage!
            cueser Level 1

I logged in as the root user and the files opened fine (just as they do with the other new login I created).  I made a small change and saved.  I logged out and back into my main login and the problem still exists.

Any other thoughts?  All of my other adobe software works fine. 

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Crashes When Opening Files Containing Footage!
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Try deleting all of your preference files and restarting Premiere Pro.

When I say to delete all of the preference files, I mean deleting everything in this folder:

<drive>/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Premiere Pro

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Crashes When Opening Files Containing Footage!
                cueser Level 1

Thanks everyone for their responses...  Todd - FYI - The preferences thing didn't work. But thanks for the suggestion. 

After painstaking trial & error, it looks as though my Suitcase's font activations were conflicting with my mac's system fonts and causing Premiere to fail... Especially for Verdana.  Not sure what it didn't like, but it didn't like the Verdana that was active.

For anyone going forward, make sure your Mac's core system fonts are active in the Font Book not in Suitcase.

Thanks again all.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Crashes When Opening Files Containing Footage!
                  billyphoto Level 1

Not sure if this will shed any light on this issue, but I arrived here today after experiencing the exact same problem. Suddenly couldn't open any existing projects. Could only create a new project and import the existing project into it.

Wondered if it was anything to do with new beta versions of Photoshop CS 6and Lightroom 4.1 recently installed.

Activated some Adobe fonts recently deativated to see if that was the issue. No change.

Finally I decided to try to open PP without the Firewire 800 drive that has all my media on it.

Bingo.

I open the PP project and then mount the Firewire drive and things seem to work, although PP will crash on the way to close with the drive connected.

I still haven't figured out exactly what the problem is, but I wanted to suggest before people start throwing out preference files and reinstalling, try disconnecting your media drives when opening your projects as a test.

If I determine anything new, I'll report back here. Sometimes good troubleshooting is simply finding out what it isn't.

Good luck to everyone out there having this issue.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Crashes When Opening Files Containing Footage!
                    billyphoto Level 1

Upon further testing, it appears a new piece of media added to the media drive today is the cause of the issue.

Workflow to discovery:

Simply removing new file to trash and deleting does not resolve the issue.

When launching PP and chosing SKIP when media file is not found results in same crash upon opening any project. Chosing OFFLINE instead, seems to clear the PP gremlins and the current project and all other projects now open as they did before the issue surfaced.

Relinked a fresh copy of the original file that was copied back to the media drive and while still open, PP seemed to work as expected.

However, closing and then relaunching PP with the re-copied media file in question resulted in the same crash after selecting any project to open.

File in question is a QuickTime movie, a master from a FPC 7 project in ProRes (HQ).

Still not sure why that particular file is causing problems, but it will be quarrantined for the time being.

Because Premiere plays so well with FCP 7 and XML, I just exported the final edit sequence out of FCP and brought it into Premiere as a new edit. Just rendered it out and everything seems to be happy.

Hope this helps a bit for anyone having project crash difficulties.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Crashes When Opening Files Containing Footage!
                      CaptSaltyJack

Problem solved! The user above who mentioned font conflict got me thinking. So I went into Font Book, and discovered that Verdana was diabled! This sometimes happens when there are unresolved duplicates.

So check your Font Book. If system fonts are disabled, this causes Adobe apps to flip out.