5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2012 9:47 AM by iRuss

How did they do this chromakey effect?

iRuss Level 1

In this music video, the musicians look like they were shot in the water. An effect was added to the water. But how did they do that? Is it because the musicians were painted a blueish green, and they keyed off of that, then inverted the mask and added the effect to the water? Any ideas? And can AE do this?

Sorry for the short advertisement in the begining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN6kCgMUjFw&feature=player_embedded

• 1. Re: How did they do this chromakey effect?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

"The uploader has made this video unavailable in your country."

• 2. Re: How did they do this chromakey effect?
            iRuss Level 1

Then do it this way: The name of the band is: Bad Religion. The song is: 21st Century Digital Boy. You could goggle it or do a search on Youtube. It's a pretty cool video, check it out and let me know what you think is going on.

Try copy and pasting this link into your browser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN6kCgMUjFw&ob=av2e

Here is a sceenshot from the video. The black with white spec bankground moves around like water.

BadReligion.jpg

• 3. Re: How did they do this chromakey effect?
              Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I found a copy that was watchable in my country (why on Earth would anybody lock out a music clip?) but it's pretty bad quality. 

From what I can see, the guys are painted a colour, then shot in a pool of contrasting-colour liquid.  Not sure about the specs on the surface (not really visible in the copy I could watch) but they could be real-world, or they could be keyed in, although they appear to follow the contours of the water, so some kind of displacement mapping would have to occur if they're added later.

As a low budget equivalent, I'd probably paint my cast in a waterproof (oil based) red paint, and shoot them in a nice blue swimming pool.  Then use keying to separate the people from the water, and use colour tools to adjust the elements to whataver colour you choose.  To add video noise to the water surface, create a displacement map by creating a precomp of your water element.  Use Levels to increase the contrast of the water ripples.  Create a separate precomp of flickering noise/specks/whatever texture you want.  Then place the Texture precomp to the main comp, apply the Displacement Map effect to it, and use the Water precomp as the displacement map source.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How did they do this chromakey effect?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Couldn't find a good video nor any decent still frames, but this very much looks like it has been done practically. You know, oily make-up, water with glycerine, polystyrene foam balls. Music videos are done on the cheap these days, so I doubt it's any complex and expensive liquid/ fluid simulation in a 3D program...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How did they do this chromakey effect?
                  iRuss Level 1

Thanks guys. Sorry you couldn't see the video very well. Interesting effect they used.