3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2012 11:44 AM by Tony Deak

CS3 to CS5.5

Tony Deak

Hi all,

I am wanting to upgrade from Production Premium CS3 to C5.5. I am trying to find out if  my video card will work with AE. My video card is Nvidia MSI 560GTX Ti. http://uk.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-560ti/specifications. On another note can AE recognise AVCHD format?

Also I have 16meg DDR3 of memory. But I have read that you will need 24 to 32 meg for rendering. Is this correct?

I am also looking if the above will be sufficient for Production Premium CS6 when it is released.

Thank you

Tony

• 1. Re: CS3 to CS5.5
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I am trying to find out if  my video card will work with AE.

They all "work". Seriously, at this point AE's OpenGL usage is so rubbish, it doesn't matter what card you have. Many users, including me, simply prefer to work without OpneGL in teh interest of better stability and galactic peace...

On another note can AE recognise AVCHD format?

Yes it does. Read the help on specifics for format support.

Also I have 16meg DDR3 of memory. But I have read that you will need 24 to 32 meg for rendering. Is this correct?

That's nonsense. AE will work just fine with 16GB, you may just not be able to use "Render Multiple Frames Simultanuously" or at least specific combinations of it. Again, read the online help.

I am also looking if the above will be sufficient for Production Premium CS6 when it is released.

That's like asking your mom whether your favorite childhood Spongebob undies still fit after puberty... At this point nobody can tell you officially and even when it comes out and there may be some theoretical system requirements for whatever fancies they have in there, there's no guarantees it will work. You could always wait a little longer, you know. NAB starts on April 14th and CS6 isn't that far away on a more general level, too. Some more info might magically fall out of the sky...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS3 to CS5.5
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

1 - Video cards are fairly unimportant to After Effects, as the real processing is done by the CPU.  OpenGL accelleration can be used, but it sometimes makes things slower rather than faster.  If your card doesn't support OpenGL in the correct way AE will simply ignore it and work without it.   So forget about the video card, it's unimportant.

2 - Yes, C5.5 will recognise many forms of AVCHD.  But personally I transcode ALL footage to a lossless format for compositing work.  It's far more efficient within AE.

3 - I hope you mean 16 GIGabytes.  Which is fine, AE will work fine with tat much RAM.  Extra always helps, but not essential.

4 - Same above applies to CS6.  Make sure you get a free upgrade offer to CS6 with your purchase of CS5.5.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: CS3 to CS5.5
              Tony Deak Level 1

Hey, thanks guys.