11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2012 3:22 PM by Peter S. Yang

InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements

Peter S. Yang

Hello,

Currently I have a much older version of Adobe creative suite, CS3. But I am currently attempting to install CS5.5 Master Collection onto my MacBook OSX 10.6.8. As I get to the Install options, I choose Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign 5.5 as those are the programs I use most. However, though both Photoshop and Illustrator meet my system requirements, InDesign 5.5 does not. I have no idea why InDesign does not meet my requirements. And I would like to wait before installing the programs on my computer as InDesign is the program I use most for my work.

I would just like to know why InDesign is not compatiable with my current computer and to see if there is a possibility to resolve this issue.

Please let me know if I should be more specific with my questions.

Thank you,

Peter S. Yang

• 1. Re: InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Peter,

We are not Adobe employees here. We are expert InDesign users.

From the Adobe website, here are the requirements for InDesign CS5.5 for a Mac:

Mac OS

• Multicore Intel processor
          • Mac OS X v10.5.8 or v10.6
          • 1GB of RAM (2GB recommended)
          • 2.6GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)
          • 1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit video card
          • DVD-ROM drive
          • Adobe Flash Player 10 software required to export SWF files
          • Broadband Internet connection required for online services and to validate Subscription Edition (if applicable) on an ongoing basis*
          • 2. Re: InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements
            Peter S. Yang Level 1

Okay I understand. I am obviously a new user to the Forums and I do not know where to seek for help. My issue is that I cannot contact the U.S technical support as I am currently living in Paris, France as a student. And my French is not fluent enough to contact the French region support. So I do not know what to do.

I'm also not too tech savy, but I'm pretty sure my current MacBook system requirements meet the requirements you've posted. Yet I am still unable to install Adobe InDesign 5.5.

Is there somewhere I can be directed to resolve this issue?

Thank you!

• 3. Re: InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements

What is the error message you're getting when you do the installation?

• 4. Re: InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements
                Peter S. Yang Level 1

When I check the box to install InDesign 5.5 a yellow Triangle with an ! saying my computer does not meet the system requirements. However it does not say specifically what on my computer does not meet the requirements. A link is provided to see what the system requirements are. Again, it does not specifically state what attributes I am missing. But I figure if Photoshop and Illustrator do not have the Triangle error, InDesign should be okay as well. I have yet to continue after this point. As I stated, I already have Suite CS3 and I do not want to go forward with installing CS5 until I resolve the system requirement issue. My fear is that I may lose CS3 and will not be able to launch InDesign CS5.5.

• 5. Re: InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements

I'd go ahead and do the install regardless the warning. You should have no problem.

Installing a new versions NEVER uninstalls the previous version.

• 6. Re: InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you have an Intel  processor, or an older G4 machine (did they ever put G5 chips in MacBooks?)

• 7. Re: InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements
                      peter minneapolis Level 4

Peter S. Yang wrote:

Hello,

Currently I have a much older version of Adobe creative suite, CS3. But I am currently attempting to install CS5.5 Master Collection onto my MacBook OSX 10.6.8. As I get to the Install options, I choose Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign 5.5 as those are the programs I use most. However, though both Photoshop and Illustrator meet my system requirements, InDesign 5.5 does not. I have no idea why InDesign does not meet my requirements. And I would like to wait before installing the programs on my computer as InDesign is the program I use most for my work.

I would just like to know why InDesign is not compatiable with my current computer and to see if there is a possibility to resolve this issue.

Please let me know if I should be more specific with my questions.

Thank you,

Peter S. Yang

Hi, Peter Y.: (FYI, "Peter" seems to be among the most popular names on this forum.)

Please note that Adobe's method of numbering ID releases is confusing in any language. "CS 5.5 Master Collection" is the full and correct collection name, but it's also the full and correct release name of the ID component it contains, as in "InDesign CS5.5," whether referring to the ID component that is integrated into the 5.5 Creative Suite, or to the single ID CS 5.5 product bought outside any Creative Suite collection.

On Mac, the About InDesign menu item under the InDesign menu will show a different number, just to make things crazy. ID CS 5 in the About panel is "Version 5." ID CS 5.5 in the About panel is "Version 5.5." In the early days before suites, ID 1.0 was version 1. When suites came in, for whatever reason, the new numbering convention came with it. It's absolutely guaranteed to baffle folks in the same way that, in Paris, "the left bank" of the Seine doesn't relate to which direction you're facing - it's always the south bank.

As Peter S. says, newer installing a newer InDesign release won't damage an installed older release. However, just to be super-cautious, keep in mind that installing a component from within a collection that has the same number as an existing installation of the same product that wasn't part of a collection may cause problems. For example, if ID CS5.5 was purchased as a single product and installed on a computer, installing ID CS5.5 from a collection may cause damage; perhaps someone on the forum knows if a warning message would appear in a case like this.

Also, it's well known that installing an older version when a newer version is already installed, can cause problems. For example, if ID CS5.5 is installed, installing ID CS5, ID CS4, ID CS3, etc., will cause problems. The issue is that some newer-version files reside in the same location as same-named older-version files, and installing older versions overwrites the newer files; the installers don't catch this problem, and so there's no warning message.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 8. Re: InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

10.6.8 has to be Intel.

Bob

• 9. Re: InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements
                          Peter S. Yang Level 1

So I went ahead and installed CS5 and everything seems to be running smoothly. Everyone has been a great help and the responses were quite quick. Really appreciate it.

Just one last questions: Should I removes CS3 or wait until I've played around with CS5 before I completely remove CS3 from my computer? or would it be wise to keep both versions on my computer?

Thanks again,

Peter S. Yang

• 10. Re: InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You should not remove CS3, nor should you overwrite your CS3 files. There are enough reports of file failure late in editing when opening legacy files (CS3 in particular) directly in CS5 and editing that it is prudent to save the old versions as backup, and to export from CS3 and open that in CS5 if you wish to convert an old file. There is no way to move a CS5 or CS5.5  file back to CS3 without also having CS4.

• 11. Re: InDesign 5.5 does not meet system requirements
                              Peter S. Yang Level 1

Thanks for the tip - this has all been very helpful.