Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Another failed install attempt

Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been unsucessful at installing Flash Player's most recient version for the longest time. Each time I try, I get the same message that it has failed to initialize. I thought it may have been a firefox problem so I attempted with IE and still got the same problem. I have looked around at the site and I guess I'm not computer savy enough to do this. I think I may need some hand holding to walk me through what is wrong and how to fix it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your Windows version & edition?

Try downloading the full installer(s) from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#Install_in_a_...

Note that the 64-bit installers are only for Windows 7 64-bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows XP version 5.1 service pack 3

The link didn't work either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Failed to initialize' errors are usually caused by your antivirus. Most modern AV apps incorporate a variety of scanners which spring into life as soon as the user attempts to install or uninstall a program. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing where it concerns apps of unknown origin, you should always disable the AV scanner when installing legitimate programs such as Flash player.

If you use AVAST antivirus, right click the orange icon on systray, go to "AVAST Shields Control" and choose to disable all shields for one hour. If you use a different AV, consult this list for instructions on how to disable it: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to find my program on that list. I did everything it said and tried to install it again. It still didn't work though. Thank you for the suggestion. I wish it had been that simple to get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Download the current 32 bit uninstaller

32-bit uninstaller

Close all browser windows and run the uninstaller 

Restart Windows

Delete all remaining files and folders located in the following directories. (tip: copy and paste these paths into the path bar in a Windows Explorer window)

• C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash 

• %appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player 
  • %appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player

Verify that the file “FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl” in C:\Windows\System32\ has been deleted.

Download the following installer files:

Physically disconnect from the Internet and run the installers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, apparently I have "real player" installed but not "flash player". Webistes like Youtube have always worked for me. A website like ABC or MSN with videos embedded in the actually webpage do not play. For some websites, there is just a blank spot where a video is supposed to be.

Still don't know what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines