3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 3:15 AM by Mylenium

Moving Null Object (Effect: X,Y,Z Seperation) doesn't create a new keyframe

-DasPferd-

Hi regarding to this tutorial (http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/advanced_camera_tips/) my composition contains a few Textlayers, a camera and a null object. The null object is the parent of the camera and has the effect X,Y,Z seperation. All layers, objects etc. are in 3D Mode and the clocks for X,Y,Z are enabled.

I can start with three keyframes [kf] (X,Y,Z) generate after a few seconds another set of kf by clicking the button to the left to the clock. Everything works fine. Now to my problem. According to the tutorial, when moving the null objects with the mouse, AE should create automatically a new set of kf at the current time. But it doesn't it just changes the position of the null object globally not the values of the effect at that time. Even if I create the keyframes manually, select them all and then move the null object it doesn't change the value. Also selecting the effect and moving the object doesn't work.

So how I have to move the object that I can change the value of the kf?

PS: I'm using AE CS5.5

• 1. Re: Moving Null Object (Effect: X,Y,Z Seperation) doesn't create a new keyframe
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Erm, don't use the animation preset? It's driven by expressions and the channels of the expression controls need to be keyframed explicitly, because in AE terms by referencing another value for position you are not changing anything inside the expression control's own property stream. Nothing personal, but I think you need to get AE's basics down first before jumping so far ahead, so start here. Practice animation the normal way, not by using advanced techniques that involve under-the-hood hocuspocus. Expressions make life easier, but they are not essential (well, not for this kind of thing, anyway).

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Moving Null Object (Effect: X,Y,Z Seperation) doesn't create a new keyframe
            -DasPferd- Level 1

You are absolutely right I'm a beginner and at the moment I'm practising with the beginners tutorials from video copilot. The link to the adobe tutorials also looks nice, I will defnitely also try these tutorials but for me it's more easy to do video tutorials (because I can see directly where to click etc. and how the result should look like).

I did it with the preset because I want to stick to the tutorial. I think at this point of the tutorial (3:50-4:00) he didn't even use expressions (as far as I know what it is) he still working with keyframes and regular animations. So asked in another way how to change the values of the effect when dragging the object instead of changing the transform-position value (Stop Watch is enabled for the effect x,y,z and disabled for the position).

Also if he changes the values with the mouse (4:10-4:12), he can see live while clicking and moving, how it affects the camera position. When I change them, the position only changes at the end when I release the mouse button.

• 3. Re: Moving Null Object (Effect: X,Y,Z Seperation) doesn't create a new keyframe
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I'm not quite sure I understand you. The animation preset works by copying values from the camera's native position property to the separate controls, but you would have to keyframe the separate controls ratehr than teh camera for any animation changes to show up there.... Are you doing that? Of course the values will update, but you won't get any keyframes otherwise...

Mylenium