4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 4:54 PM by SirStevo

Text disappears when changed to white

SirStevo

Hi, I need help with a problem.

I have text on top of an image (jpg). When I change the text colour to white it disappears, but is clearly visible in any/every colour other than white.

I've searched forums for answers but can't find anything to fix it. A commen theme on forums for this typeof problem relates to the 'Attributes' - in my case all options are unselected, with the only non-greyed out one being 'Nonprinting'.

I'm a bit of an InDesign novice, and would appreciate any help I can get. If it's of any concern, I'm using CS3 in Win7.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Text disappears when changed to white
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

By default there is no swatch called 'white'. So, did you

(a) use [Paper], the recommended way to get "white";

(b) use [None], with the thought in mind this means 'no ink' and therefore expect it to knock out everything below;

or (c) make a custom RGB or CMYK swatch, set color to be all white and called it "white"?

Re (a):  this means "use no ink at all", so you see the 'paper' color shine through. Usually that's what you need.

Re (b): this means "do nothing". No ink, no knock-out. It means no fill, no stroke. It leaves no marks at all. None, really.

Re (c): that's a tricky one, and how (or even if) it works depends on a lot of other things. Since there are other ways to do what you want, don't.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Text disappears when changed to white
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When white text shows on screen, but disappears in output it's usually caused by an overprint setting. Besides what Jongware mentioned, the first thing to check is if the text disappears when you turn on Overprint Preview from the View menu.

ID is smarter than many other programs, like Illustrator, and will not let you set overprint for [Paper] or 0,0,0,0 CMYK deliberately, and will remove the overprint when changing something from the default [Black] to [Paper] (that's where Illy screws up), but it apparently is still possible to get [Paper] to overprint using some transparency effects or blend modes, so Does the text in question have an effect or blend mode applied? Is it typed in ID, or is it part of imported art?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Text disappears when changed to white
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

SirStevo sent me the file for diagnosis. The problem was that the text frame blending mode was set to multiply.

• 4. Re: Text disappears when changed to white
                SirStevo Level 1

Thanks Peter. You're a legend!