23 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2015 7:35 PM by P. Ivo

Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't

MDenver Level 1

Windows 7, CS5.5.2

I had this happening to me a few times times, I click the x in the top right corner to close Premiere, it asks me to save my project, I click no and the program seems to close, nothing on the taskbar left either, but it's still there in the taskmanager as a 290MB process.

I discovered this when Premiere refused to start. Now I'm forced to close the process before I can start Premiere.

What's causing this?

It seems that more people had this problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2920945

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3248472

Some had it solved by updating the video driver, but since I already have the latest one (NVidia) I don't see how that's going to solve it. I also have the latest chipset and audio dirvers as of yesterday.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

How long are you waiting for the process to quit?

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
            MDenver Level 1

In one case I waited almost 15 min.

While I was away I have done some rigorous testing with Microsoft's driver verifier tool, the same tool they use to certify drivers. I have found two issues that I solved by removing two conflicting programs. The last diagnostics run of driver verifier was 100% successful. I also did a rigorous memory test and that didn't show any problems either. As a matter of fact I'm been amazed how stable my system is running for almost 2 years now and trust me, I stress it a lot by running applications like Photoshop, Illustrator, Cinema 4D, games and even Vmware. It's also not a system that is cluttered with all kind of junk, since I restore an image of the system partition every 3 months or so. The backup only contains the complete installation of my OS and software BEFORE use. A restore of this image before I posted my problem in this forum also didn't solve the issue

Anyway, after using driver verifier, I tried Premiere Pro again, closed it 3 times after fiddling with some videos and now after the 4th time I close the program I have the same issue as before: the program seems to close, the taskbar is empty, but again the task manager is showing the adobe premiere pro.exe process. That process is now still visible in task manager after  about 10 minutes.

The only thing I could try now is cancelling all non-Microsoft processes and services and see if the problem still returns. I'm open for any other suggestions.

Mind you, I could solve this issue by writing a script that kills the process after I leave the program, but:

a - I don't know if it will do any harm (maybe the process is still saving or updating files)

b - It just camouflages the issue and I never feel good about that

EDIT:  I closed all non-Windows processes (as an IT professional I know what I'm looking at), stopped all non-Windows processes and killed the adobe premiere pro.exe process that was still running, I started Premiere Pro fiddled with some videos, closed the program and again....the adobe premiere pro.exe process continues to run....for several minutes now.

To sum it up: I have the latest bios and drivers for graphics card, audio and chipset. I ran Microsoft driver verifier and managed to run a full final diagnostics without any conflicts, I ran a memory test that didn't show any error, I restored a clean backup of my system partition, I have all the latest updates for both Windows and Adobe software, I even tried running Premiere Pro without running all non- Windows processes and services and the Premiere Pro process still doesn't want to close. I don't run any brand new model video card either, I'm using a 9800GT that has very mature drivers and the card itself was bought brand new only 6 months ago and has not crashed any game so far ( the best test for any video card) or any application that makes use of GPU acceleration, like Photoshop for example, which always runs at OpenGL/normal.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
              MDenver Level 1

Is Adobe now going to ignore me because they don't know what to do next? I have worked all night for like 5 hours to get this solved, you have no clue how many times I had to reboot to try new drivers and to run driver verifier, I expect a little more help from Adobe after all my efforts, since I've shown that I don't need to be spoon-fed when I have a technical problem (unlike most people), but are willing to do as much as possible myself to find a solution.

Oh well, I give up....just like all the others who obviously had or have the same problem that most likely will never be solved.

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This is a user-to-user forum. Adobe staff (like me) help out here in our free time, when we can.

If you want a guaranteed response from Adobe personnel, then you need to contact Adobe Technical Support:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                  MDenver Level 1

Contacting support? You're funny.... when I talked about the Microsoft driver verifier tool, their response was basically one of "Say what?!".

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Contacting support? You're funny.... when I talked about the Microsoft driver verifier tool, their response was basically one of "Say what?!".

It's only my opinion, but if you alienate or antagonize someone with a big, white A and the moniker "Employee" under that A, your chances of getting any help at all here asymptotically approach zero.

Jeff

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                      MDenver Level 1

Jeff Bellune, where you there when I contacted Adobe support? No, so stop making assumptions based on my behavior on the forum, which is partly based on my journey of over 9(!) hairpulling hours to find a solution for this irritating problem and also because of the moderator who moved my post without ever informing me, because obviously sending a tiny personal message with the text "I moved your post here <url>" which cost 15 seconds of his time was wayyyyy too much to ask.

Stuff like that doesn't sit well with me, considering that I'm running a rather large, mostly non-profit, web site for almost 9 years where I have done way more time consuming things that I never got paid for, than just sending a tiny personal message. Add to that the fact that the Adobe knowledge base is one of the worst I've ever seen  (they could learn from IBM and Microsoft) and you'll understand where my current attitude comes from; pure frustration!

As for the problem at hand; it's finally solved. I've ran 20 tests with Premiere Pro and each time I closed the application, the process would still run....even after 2 or 3 min or more. I fixed what I considered the cause and not a single time did the problem return. I reversed the fix and as expected the problem returned.

Solved, 100% sure.

To anyone with the same problem (according to Google, there are many!); feel free to contact me personally and I'll erradicate this issue for you forever, because Adobe won't be of any help based on my experience on the phone and online.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't

To anyone with the same problem (according to Google, there are many!); feel free to contact me personally and I'll erradicate this issue for you forever, because Adobe won't be of any help based on my experience on the phone and online

You'd help a lot more people if you'd post your solution here in the forum.

based on my journey of over 9(!) hairpulling hours to find a solution for this irritating problem

which cost 15 seconds of his time was wayyyyy too much to ask

I'm running a rather large, mostly non-profit, web site for almost 9 years where I have done way more time consuming things that I never got paid for, than just sending a tiny personal message

You've already spent many hours on this -- hopefully another 15 seconds more of your unpaid time to really help future visitors out and post the solution here isn't too much to ask..

As for the moderator not sending you a PM, here are some things to think about: first, it takes more than 15 seconds. Second, if you multiply the time it does take by all the posts that have to be moved by the moderators every single day, it can add up to a lot of time.  That's time that we generally don't have after sifting through the hundreds of posts that show up daily.  There's an easy way for the users to find what they've posted and where it currently resides; sending a PM for every moved post or topic would be a colossal waste of our (unpaid) time.  Sorry if you disagree.

Jeff

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                          mrock87 Level 1

I have the same issue.  If you have a fix for it, I'd love to get rid of this irritating problem!

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                            vvulture Level 1

Hey MDenver, i wanna take you up on your offer to help

MDenver wrote:

To anyone with the same problem (according to Google, there are many!); feel free to contact me personally and I'll erradicate this issue for you forever

Can you please post the solution here, or at least tell us how to get in touch with you ?

I'm pulling my hair here too with this problem..

Thx buddy. 

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Happens to me, too.  I'd be interested in  knowing how it was fixed.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                                tienne veeck Level 1

I have the same problem.  Can you help me please

tienneveeck@gmail.com

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                                  Zahoor M. Sakharkar Level 1

After clearing cache and getting rid of additional codecs (such as matrox, hali, codec pack etc) the processes for new projects in task manager do now quit, but here's the interesting thing- The old projects that used to hang , still do, so I suspect a corruption in project file /security or permisdsions may have contributed in the first place but the old projects still hang. The workaround is to create a new project and import the sequence in there. No more hanging processes in the task bar.

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                                    BoggyPhoto Level 1

I had this problem until just a few seconds ago when I found out what was happening. Apparently my Premiere Pro won't close when I have Stardock's ObjectDock Plus 2.0 open. It remained active in the background, using one core of my CPU. Of course, I had to close it by hand before reopening it.

After I closed ObjectDock and reopened Premiere, it quit normaly.

At least I found out the culprit, after 10 minutes of closing programs one by one and testing after each. Arrgh!

P.S. It happened on CS6 here, Win7 x64

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                                      Jeff Schaap Level 1

I second that problem and solution. Upgraded to CC 2014 8.0.1 and suddenly Premiere and AE won't close without end tasking them. I closed Objectdock (2.0) and they act normally. ARGGGH. Come on! I love Objectdock!

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                                        grandpooba2 Level 1

Honestly we have had this problem since using Premier Pro cs6. It shuts off after closing for us about 10-15 seconds in. So if you shutdown then try to do a restart you have to wait abit for it to shutoff in task manager then restart. Strange but???? Open ears if there is any ideas here.

Thanx everyone.

DR

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                                          BoggyPhoto Level 1

Hi Jeff, I found a better solution, to keep ObjectDock on and quiet. Please backup your files before deleting them as I did. This worked on my computer, but I can't guarrantee it will work on yours as well

The simple thing is to just delete Dock64.dll and Dock64.exe from the ObjectDock installation folder. Or better yet, simply rename the extensions to whatever you'd like. In case something goes wrong you can just rename them back.

Let us know if it worked.

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't

BoggyPhoto wrote:

Hi Jeff, I found a better solution, to keep ObjectDock on and quiet. Please backup your files before deleting them as I did. This worked on my computer, but I can't guarrantee it will work on yours as well

The simple thing is to just delete Dock64.dll and Dock64.exe from the ObjectDock installation folder. Or better yet, simply rename the extensions to whatever you'd like. In case something goes wrong you can just rename them back.

Let us know if it worked.

One caveat to your method: you lose the ability of OD to interact with any 64-bit apps.  No running task indicator, no Aero Peek, nothing.  It's up to the user to decide if it's worth the loss of functionality.

Cheers,

Jeff

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                                              BoggyPhoto Level 1

The experience to after renaming the dll and the exe(actually, the exe kept it hanging, but I removed them both as a precaution) was exactly the same. I use my ObjectDock as a hidden bar above, and can open/slide it in front of any application (be it 32 bit or 64 bit), the task indicator is still in my taskbar notification area.

Basically, nothing changed after. Anyway, it's worth a try, you can still simply rename them back and restart the program.

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't

That makes sense.  I have a QuickLaunch dock replacing my taskbar.  So I would really miss the running task indicators and the peek function.

Cheers,

Jeff

PS - I don't suffer from the OP's problem, which allows me the luxury of keeping Dock64 running. 

• 21. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                                                  grandpooba2 Level 1

I don't have ObjectDock that I know of on our machines but it still won't restart. Hmmm.

• 22. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                                                    MrTea Level 1

Thanks BoggyPhoto!

This same problem had been troubling me for ages (Win7 64bit, Premiere CC 2014) and this solution of renaming ObjectDocks two files seems to work without affecting anything in my three QuickLaunch docks.

I still see task indicators and "peek" previews so I imagine what Jeff Bellune says is just related to the ObjectDock's taskbar replacement?

Thank you so much for posting this solution. I had got as far as closing down all other programs from the task bar to try and figure out the problem but failed to try closing any of my StarDock stuff for some reason.

So, renaming Dock64.dll and Dock64.exe did the trick and Premiere now closes and opens without issue. 

• 23. Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 closes, but process in taskmanager doesn't
                                                      P. Ivo Level 1

The same problem with me. All softwares closed but look my task manager:

Process.PNG

Win 7 Home Premium, GT540m. I don't know what to do.