5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 3:26 AM by Laubender

DPS artwork moving to perfectly bound publication.

LouisvanS

Hi All,

My first post here so appologies if my terminonlogy and knowledge isn't the best.

I am from an IT background and reletively new to the design game, but loving it!

I have been designing a publication for the last year and we have just moved to perfect binding which has presented some issues.

We asked the printer if we needed to change anything but apparently not.....

Anyway, although our first issue perfectly bound looks great, there was one issue that I haven't been able to find an answer to online or in this forum.

I like to utilise big Opening spreads for articles but have found that with perfect binding I am loosing continuity across the page as part of the image is lost in the gutter. Lines don't match up across the pages while some things get totally lost in the center of the page. I make sure I don't put any key points of interest too close to the center but would love to know if there is an automated way to duplicating the edges of images in the center of the page to make up for the small part of the image lost to the center?

This explains http://blog.magcloud.com/2011/06/16/designing-for-perfect-binding/  what I would like to do but can it be done automatically in indesign rather than having to maunally split up an image and add a repeated section in the middle?

How much of the image should be repeated? I'm guessing around 4-6mm would be enough to make the image seemless without looking obviously repeated?

I use CS5.5 Suite.

Thanks in advance and let me know if you need some clarity on my question or if I am repeating some previously covered subjects.

Louis

Spread with part of the image lost in the gutter.

Perfect Bind.JPG

• 1. Re: DPS artwork moving to perfectly bound publication.
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

From your problem description I understand "your" DPS is not Adobe's Digital Publishing Solution?

InDesign does not "automatically" adjust your images for you, as the amount needed depends on a lot of factors beyond its control. (In fact, thinking about it, every factor is beyond InDesign's control: paper thickness, binding technique, location of this spread in the printed section...)

If you have printed examples where it went wrong, you can eyeball the needed amount and adjust them manually in the next job.

Louis van S wrote

I make sure I don't put any key points of interest too close to the center ...

Yes, that's very good! At least that doesn't make your readers "focus" on the problem ...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DPS artwork moving to perfectly bound publication.
            LouisvanS Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

DPS I meant Double Page Spread... haha 

I had been wishful thinking that perhaps there was a way to adjust a specific amount accross the whole publication. It appears to be around the same amount needed on most pages.

Is this somthing others do when designing for perfectly bound publications? Is it just something I will need to "get my eye in" to get a feel for how far into the centre to replicate the image?

Thanks

Louis

• 3. Re: DPS artwork moving to perfectly bound publication.
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It may be enough to add an "inside Bleed" to the document without actually splitting the spreads. The bleed at the gutter on a spread picks up the edge of the opposite page -- just what you are looking for in this case. Your printer should be able to tell you how large to make it.

• 4. Re: DPS artwork moving to perfectly bound publication.
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

I don't know about others but I do adjust spread-crossing images, if only by a mil or 2 ... Fortunately, for me these are usually "background" images, not eye-catching full-color pictures such as yours. As such it doesn't have to line up perfectly.

Does anyone else?

• 5. Re: DPS artwork moving to perfectly bound publication.
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Lois – If you can work in chunks of up to 10 pages/per document you can work with 1 spread of 10 pages maximum (single sided document!) and arrange pages more freely with the Page tool.

Downside 1:

text formatting like "Align Towards Spine"/"Align Away from Spine" would not work as you like it.

Downside 2:

You cannot arrange master pages in that way!

In the following example I set the bleed for left and right to 8 mm, top and bottom to 3 mm and rearranged the pages with the Page tool.

For seeing the perfect bound effect on elements crossing the made-up "spine", just export single pages without bleed to PDF and choose "Two-Up" under "Document Properties / Initial View / Page layout".

See screenshot (sorry for the german UI):

FreelyArrangedPages_CS5_CS5.5.png

Just a thought. Let's debate that…

Uwe