9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2008 6:42 PM by kglad

(((needing help with Flash)))

adam shambour
      Hi everyone
      I am a design student currently enrolled in an advanced interactive media class. The project that was given was to create anything that we wanted just as long as it engaged people with interactive media. The main program that we are using is Flash actionscript 2.0. For this project I am creating a site that is a 30 day line drawing study that anyone can go to and with a simple drawing program that I have already coded, can make only one click and drag line mark per visit. The site will be recording every line that is made between 12:00am to 12:00pm at the end of the 12 hours the site will upload that days creation to a blog and reset itself to a blank screen.

What I need help with is a database storer that will record every line that is made in that 12 hour time frame so that every time the site is loaded the previous line made from someone else shows up on the screen.

Thank you so much if anyone can help me I have only 2 weeks to get this done and I have hit a brick wall.
      I can send my flash file through email, also if you could email the answers to adams_designs@hotmail.com that would be great. I check my email everyday. Thanks again for your time and consideration.
        • 1. Re: Student needing help with Flash
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          i know you're not using flash 2.0. did you mean actionscript 2.0?

and do you have a database already setup? and is there some particular reason you're using a database instead of saving and loading an image of the drawing?
          • 2. Re: Student needing help with Flash
            adam shambour Level 1
            sorry, yes actionscript 2.0
            • 4. Re: Student needing help with Flash
              adam shambour Level 1
              No I do not have a database set up, and the database was my teacher’s idea. I don’t really know how to set this up nor do I know the difference between the two do you have any suggestions. I’m trying to set it up so when (mouse up) after an individual makes the line it automatically records the past line markings so when the site is loaded agene or from a different computer it shows the previous lines made.
              thank you for responding :^)
              • 5. Re: (((needing help with Flash)))
                this is too complex for someone that's not familiar with actionscript. the easiest way to do this is to save a bitmap of the current user's addition to the drawing on your server. when the next user opens your swf, you would load that bitmap and allow the user to add their line and then save that bitmap (ie, the previous bitmap plus the new line) to your server.

but that's almost certainly more than someone with intermediate flash skills could reasonably handle.

trying to save data about each line added would be cumbersome and almost as difficult. you would need to store the length, rotation and location of each line. then retrieve that and recreate the drawing from those data.

i, and many others that contribute answers to this forum, could program both of those approaches, within a few hours of starting this project. but to ask someone without advanced experience to do either, is not reasonable.
                • 6. Re: (((needing help with Flash)))
                  adam shambour Level 1
                  I will talk to my teacher some more tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks for the info.
                  • 7. Re: (((needing help with Flash)))
                    you're welcome.

it would be much easier to allow each user to add one or two words (and/or punctuation marks) to a collaborative story. that's easier to code and would also engage users in a collaborative effort.
                    • 8. Re: (((needing help with Flash)))
                      adam shambour Level 1
                      Hi its me agene so I had to change my project idea alit-bit because of time issues now I have a new challenge for you. I’m keeping the drawing part of my project but instead of doing the database thing I am going to make a tile printing option. So when the user is done with his or her drawing they can print it poster size using the tile printing system similar to rasterbating but not the rasterizing part just the printing part.

So my question is do you know if this exists in a flash form that I can drop in and manipulate the code to my likings.

• 9. Re: (((needing help with Flash)))
                        as i mentioned in a prvt message: i don't know of any component or class that would handle the rasterbating part of this project.

however, flash is more than capable of enlarging a graphic, distributing the printout over several pages which could then be reassembled into an enlarged graphic.