4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 2:39 PM by Vit Novak

Nikon D4 color temperature

BasilWolf

Nikon D4 NEF opened in ACR 6.7 shows a color temperature lower than shot

• 1. Re: Nikon D4 color temperature
          RASouthworth Level 3

That's normal, the ACR numbers are basically just neighborhood values, ACR puts its own English on whatever tag the camera passes along.

IMO expressing white balance as other than xy chromaticity values of the scene illuminant is a mistake, but there's probably too much history to get away from the present system, yellow-blue (supposedly representing the illuminant CCT) on one axis and magenta-green (tint in ACR terminology) on the other.

I checked my DH2, set to 5500 K gave 5150 and -6 in ACR.

Richard Southworth

• 2. Re: Nikon D4 color temperature
            Vit Novak Level 3

There is nothing wrong with temperature/tint system of expressing WB point, because there is a correlation between it and xy value, taken from one book - it is well documented in dng sdk. However, different manufacturers may be calculating it a bit differently

• 3. Re: Nikon D4 color temperature
              RASouthworth Level 3

I didn't say there was any thing "wrong" with the system - in my experience many photographers think of white balance as being a one dimensional quantity, i.e. temperature, and forget that it really represents an assumption as to the scene illuminant chromaticity.

Richard Southworth

• 4. Re: Nikon D4 color temperature
                Vit Novak Level 3

Well, you said "expressing white balance as other than xy chromaticity values of the scene illuminant is a mistake" so I said there was nothing wrong of expressing it as temperature/tint ...

Actually, it is an aproximation in both cases, but it is good enough for practical purpose. However, to describe illuminant accurately, spectral distribution graph is needed ... since that distribution is quite different for tungsten illuminant than for daylight for instance, there is a difference in tint ...