4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 12:44 PM by zer0hvk

Video plays normally on desktop, skips / freezes my computer when played from a CD.

zer0hvk

Hey guys!

I've got a strange question that might be related to After Effects.

I've got a video that I composed / rendered in AE, it includes a iStock video, a single audio track, and a PSD. It's 5 seconds long.

It's as the default "Lossless" settings are set, I only ticked the Audio button to get the audio as well.

It's weighs only about 57MB, so I thought there would be no problem.

I burnt the video onto a CD as Data using Toast Titanium.

When I open the file on QuickTime through the CD, the video stops at the first second, the audio skips and stops, and it freezes as if I were opening an extremely heavy file.

This also happened when it was burned directly from Finder, so, it isn't an issue with Toast.

I'm using Verbatim CD-R discs, 700MB, 52xspeed.

Strangely, when I drag the files from the CD onto the desktop, they play just fine.

Also, this same file, I converted to WMV and AVI, and the SAME issue happens with these formats when played back from a CD.

Any idea of what the issue could be? Am I rendering it wrong? Could it be the CD itself? Could having an iStock video in my composition make this happen?

I'm kind of confused as this has never happened to me before, and I hope you guys can shed some light on the issue, as I really have NO IDEA what's going on.

I really appreciate your help and your time.

Thanks again!

• 1. Re: Video plays normally on desktop, skips / freezes my computer when played from a CD.
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

....I really have NO IDEA what's going on.

The maximum bit rate that a compact disk can play is far, far less than the bit rate for the file you encoded.  You've already proven to yourself that the file itself is fine by copying it back to the desktop.

If you want to play back on a disk, you need to either AUTHOR a DVD or a Blu-Ray disk.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Video plays normally on desktop, skips / freezes my computer when played from a CD.
            zer0hvk Level 1

Thanks for taking your time to help me!

You already excused my ignorance, so I won't ask again, but, can the bitrate still be the culprit even if I'm just burning the files as data?

I'm not trying to use the CD as some sort of auto-play playback medium, I'm actively opening the .MOV file from within the CD, as if I were opening a picture, for example.

I'm using the CD as a means to give the file to my client so he can then use it. I will instruct him to transfer the file onto his desktop, but I'd like to know what mistakes I'm making or why this is happening, because I think it has never happened to me before. And the people here are worried that if he can't play it from his CD, the file must be corrupt or there must be some sort of issue.

Also, the EXACT same issue happens when the files are burned onto a DVD as Data, as well.

Is this normal? Is the only solution telling the client to drag the files into his desktop?

I'm technically using the CD/DVD as if I were using a USB stick to send the files to our client. Oh, and playing the files from my USB has no problem whatsoever.

• 3. Re: Video plays normally on desktop, skips / freezes my computer when played from a CD.
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

can the bitrate still be the culprit even if I'm just burning the files as data?

Yes!  Absolutely!  It is precisely the cause.  A lossless video data file is almost always at a MUCH higher bit rate than the same file authored as a DVD or Blu-Ray.  Don't change it if your client will use it in a different application.

I'd like to know what mistakes I'm making or why this is happening, because I think it has never happened to me before. And the people here are worried that if he can't play it from his CD, the file must be corrupt or there must be some sort of issue.

You are making NO mistakes.  Those other people there are being silly.  If your client is to use the file in a different application, give instructions to copy it to the desktop or to a hard drive.  The client may have to render in the other application for real time playback, but there is NOTHING out of the ordinary about that.

....playing the files from my USB has no problem whatsoever.

A USB drive has a greater bit rate than a CD.   Does this surprise you?  If you play a lossless file that is long enough on a USB stick, the playback will stutter as well.

• 4. Re: Video plays normally on desktop, skips / freezes my computer when played from a CD.
                zer0hvk Level 1

I have been enlightened.

I'm sorry for not knowing these things, I still have a long ways to go in learning in general, so, thanks for your patience and your time.

I've explained the situation, I hope these people can figure out the COMPLEX process that is to drag a file from one place to another. If they can't, I now have the knowledge to tell them why it can't play directly from the CD.

Thanks again, you've helped me a lot, sir.