1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 12:24 PM by [Jongware]

Why do my images look small in Kindle books but not ePubs?

Kratos27

Hi. I've created a book in Indesign with many images included.  The average size of images in my book are 400 x 600. I've exported the file as an ePub and I am test viewing on a new iPad 3, Kindle Fire and a Kindle Keyboard..

When viewing the ePub on the New iPad 3 in iBooks the images look big - that's good!  Taking about 50% of the page height.

But I have also converted the ePub with Calibre into a .mobi file.  When the mobi is viewed on the Kindle app for PC the images also look big, taking about 50% of the page height.

When I view the .mobi with the Kindle app on the iPad 3 the images look tiny, maybe 20-25% of the page height.  The images also look okay on the Kindle Fire and Kindle Keyboard, by that I mean they are not very big however the lower res of the screen means it is acceptable size.

Now I am aware of the higher Retina resolution of the iPad 3. But I don't think the issue is just because of device resolution because iBooks and Kindle for PC display the book with large images and the page looks better. As you'd expect with ereaders It seems that the Kindle devices and Kindle app for iPad is tied directly with the resolution of the viewing device. I don't think my included images are too small because they look much better when you zoom in.I've deconstructed a couple of books i purchased from Amazon and they have smaller images yet are somehow being displayed a bit larger. So I am wondering if it is to do with an export setting I use with Indesign.

I've tried exporting with a Fixed layout, and a Relative layout. But it doesn't seem to make any difference in the Kindle app for iPad.

Any thoughts please?

• 1. Re: Why do my images look small in Kindle books but not ePubs?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

I cannot anything about the Kindle (the real thing, or the iPad version), but this caught my eye:

>When viewing the ePub on the New iPad 3 in iBooks the images look big - that's good!  Taking about 50% of the page height.

That's odd, because your images are 400 x 600, on average. The iPad's 3 screen rez is *much* higher than that! I could guess that you are being deceived by smart software that tries to scale existing images in various ways.

Note that per CS5.5 release date it's impossible that Adobe could have anticipated the high-res screen you are looking at. Perhaps all will be solved with CS6 ... (along with everything else that's "wrong" with CS5 ;-)).

1 person found this helpful