Hello people.

I have collected my work from the printers and this is what I have got:

70K.jpg

The text was composed in InDesign. I have set it to these color settings:
      C 0%

M 0%

Y 0%

K 70%

I have expected a solid dark grey color, which I got when I ran tests on my desktop printer.

What I got is more like Halftone Screen effect.

Could it be that I have messed up my PDF?

The printers had difficulty understanding English, so I could sort this problem with them.

Cheers.

• 1. Re: Halftone Effect Print
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

what you've posted looks to be a scan of a printed piece...it appears to be 70% k.

Are you expecting solid Gray?

• 2. Re: Halftone Effect Print
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Looks right to me. If you wanted solid gray you should specified a spot color at 100%.

Bob

• 3. Re: Halftone Effect Print
              Not_Relevant Level 1

I am quite new to printing.

With my desktop printer I got better results, the screen effect was not as visible. Although it was set to K 70%, one could tell, that CMY was used as well, because the color was not entirely consistent.

So I was expecting something like that.

If I would have set the spot color at 100%, would digital printer try to replicate it by mixing CMYK rather than only K?

• 4. Re: Halftone Effect Print
                Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

What you see is a 70% tint of black, 45 screen angle, probaly at 150 LPI. The only way to print solid is with a spot ink like PANTONE Cool Gray 10. The printer might be able to use a finer line screen, 175LPI or 200LPI, but this is dependent on output device, press, paper stock, etc. Your desktop printer is printing a microdot, which makes it appear solid.

• 5. Re: Halftone Effect Print
                  Rik Ramsay Level 4

When printing solid greys like that, it's best to ask the printer to do Stochastic printing. This will combat your halftone effect which happens because only one plate of ink is being used. Alternatively, you could create a 4 color grey which will also help.

• 6. Re: Halftone Effect Print
                    Daniel Flavin Level 4

If your printer gave you a cmy output, I expect it is not a postscript printer. (Bob will correct me on this; there are other ways to force to cmy, but you would have to invoke such)

If you saw a discernable dot pattern on final product with you naked eye, than either the printer used a corse (low) screen ruling; subject to debate, or you have extraordinary vision.

Not_Relevant wrote:

If I would have set the spot color at 100%, would digital printer try to replicate it by mixing CMYK rather than only K?

Yes, a digital device is not going to produce a 100% Gray.

I am having a lenghtly debate with a broker this month; he is buying cards requiring a spot gray online, Pantone 431, for less than I will fire up the press for; he is consistantly dis-satisfied with the product.

• 7. Re: Halftone Effect Print
                      Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

there are other ways to force to cmy

Like color management. The ink used in the proofing device does not match the characteristics of the ink used on press, and through color management, there would be amounts of CMY inks used to simulate press conditions.

• 8. Re: Halftone Effect Print
                        Daniel Flavin Level 4

I'm focusing on the OP's original post that the type was set 0,0,0,70%.

It is, IMO, a more stable gray than a cmyk mix; less subject to variation.