11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2012 5:05 PM by the_wine_snob

Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!

Michael Salewych

I am creating a slideshow in Premiere Elements 10 (Editing Mode: DV NTSC; Pixel Aspect Ration D1/DV NTSC (0.9091) and need a little guidance.

In Photoshop I created a still image for my background using the Film & Video preset to get the right Aspect Ration. I would like to now add smaller, set size images on top of the bg and have them fade in & out to reveal the next image and so on …

Question: How do I figure out what size to make the other, smaller images? I got the size I want of the smaller images in Photoshop by layering them on top of the bg, but when I go to import them into Premiere they're way to big?! 

• 1. Re: Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just make sure all of the photos you use in your Premiere Elements project are no larger than 1000x750 pixels.

You can easily scale them once their in your project to whatever size you need them to be.

• 2. Re: Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

Sometime back, I did a TUTORIAL on creating an "abstract background," and then doing PiP w/ smaller images.

In that case, I knew the pixel x pixel dimensions, that I wanted for the Still Images, and just Scaled them to suit in Photoshop. In my case, I also added a "frame" around them, with a simple Action in PS.

The actual Scaling (and also the Positioning) can be done in PrE, as Steve mentions. In my case, I had both vertial (portrait), and horizontal (landscape) Images, and knew exactly how large each type needed to be, for my production.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!
              Michael Salewych Level 1

Bill:

Thank you for your reply.

You described the problem I am having, and that is scaling the image in PS so as not to have to scale the images in Premiere. I’ll be putting dozens of images on top of my BG and I’d rather import them at the correct size so as not to have to scale each image one at a time in Premiere.

In viewing your tutorial, that is the premise I’m trying to achieve; a smaller image atop a BG image. But in layering the images atop the BG in Photoshop to the size I want, applying a mask so all proceeding images are the same dimensions, then cropping the canvas to just save the images (and not the BG as well) to then import into Premiere, it doesn’t work; the images aren’t what I need or expected!

I don’t understand why it won’t work! I’m using the same PS file as the BG to determine the size I want but, as I said, it just doesn’t work.

Do I need to import the whole PS file, BG and all, with each smaller image on a layer showing one at a time and do it that way, fading in and out the whole frame? The BG will be the same throughout the slideshow so it will never appear to fade in and out, just the smaller image will, but that just seems to be a unorthodox way to do it?! Plus this would considerably increase the file size! 

Michael Salewych

• 4. Re: Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

I just do the math, to calculate the size that I need, and then Automate to Batch (if one has portrait and landscape, just place each type into a separate folder, to work with them via a batch, as is required), to the Image Size that I have chosen. I do no masking. When Scaled in Photoshop/PSElements, I just Import those into PrE, and place them onto Video Track 2, above the "background Image."

To get the Duration of those Imported, Scaled Still Images, I go to Edit Preferences, and set that to about what I want, say 150 Frames, to give me 05 sec. @ 30 FPS. One can still adjust any Duration, but Importing them at about what I want, initially, saves me time.

I calculated that I needed 710 x 480 for my landscape images, and 486 x 720 for my portrait images.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!
                  Michael Salewych Level 1

Steve:

Thanks for your reply.

Because I’m going to be having numerous images I’m trying to find a way to not have to scale every image in Premiere and just have the correct size in Photoshop to import into Premiere, but it doesn’t seem to be working.

Michael Salewych

• 6. Re: Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

For some tips on doing batch Scaling in PS, or PSE, perhaps this ARTICLE will be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, if one WAS to Scale in PrE, and the Scaling would be the same for multiple Images, one could go into Edit Effects>Motion>Scale, and make adjustments to the first Still Image. When satisfied, one would Rt-click that Still Image, choosing Copy. Then, they would Select all other Still Images, that need the same Scaling, and Rt-click on those, choosing Paste Attributes. Those Motion>Scale parameters will be Pasted to all of the Selected Images. Note: any other Effects will ALSO be Pasted, so if one is doing other things, that will be unique to particular Stills, they would want to do that Copy/Paste Attributes action first.

Personally, I like the Scaling algorithms in PS, better than the ones in PrE, so I do almost all of my Scaling in PS, prior to Import into PrE. That also cuts way down on the processing overhead required. If PrE has to process a lot of overly-large Still Images, it WILL take a very, very powerful computer. Scaling in PS, prior to Import, cuts that overhead way down.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!
                        Michael Salewych Level 1

Bill:

Thank you for your help. Your replies and links to your articles have been a tremendous help … and then some; I’ve learned a few new tips and tricks unrelated to this original thread.

If I may, I have an opinion question for you. Supposing one was an expert in Adobe Flash, Premiere or After Effects, which program do you feel offers the most … creativity, if you will, in developing and creating professional slideshows? Not generic type slideshows where one image after another fills the frame, but more of a creative style with motion graphic backgrounds with video, images & audio (other than just bg music) overlaying the motion graphic BG. Personally I am most knowledgeable in Flash but have no coding experience nor the patience to learn it, so I’m moving over into Premiere, which I (used to) have a working knowledge of but am wondering if I should be focusing on AE?

Michael

• 9. Re: Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

The choice would depend on the intended delivery, and whether interactivity was required.

For DVD/BD, or streaming media, such as WMV, then Premiere would be my choice.

If interactivity is required, then Flash is the way to go.

AfterEffects is a compositing program, and offers tons of power, however it is designed to do shorter segments. For a full-length DVD SlideShow, it would require a lot of work.

Going back, I did a lot of work in Flash, but the delivery was for the Web. With longer Projects, not requiring any interactivity, I moved to Premiere. I use AfterEffects for segments, but not for full productions.

Premiere can do a lot of what AE can do, though often not quite so well, and AE can do a lot of what Pr can do, though again, not so well. Each can have a place in the workflow.

For me, Pr comes closest to having more of the aspects of the other two programs, but that does not mean that I do not reach for AE, when the need arises.

Good luck, and wish that I could give definitive answers for you.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!
                            Michael Salewych Level 1

I really appreciate your time and insight! You’ve been very helpful. Thank you.

Michael

• 11. Re: Aspect Ration Photoshop to Premiere ... Help!
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Michael,

You are most welcome. That is what we all try to do - help others, and improve their editing experiences.

Good luck, and thanks for the kind words.

Hunt