6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2016 4:41 AM by Ann Bens

Can I move some of the content to another drive?

GertrudeGringleII

Hello,

I have a solid state drive for my system drive, as they are much faster than normal drives, but they tend to be smaller. The one I have is 120Gb, and is getting quite full. I have installed Premiere Elements 10, along with the extra content, and can see that this is taking up quite a lot of space on the SSD.

Is it possible to move some of the content onto another drive? I realise that the program files will need to stay where they are, but the extra themes and so on might be movable. Anyone know?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Can I move some of the content to another drive?
          GertrudeGringleII Level 1

In case it helps anyone, it turned out to be quite easy. I moved the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10" to another drive, then opened a command prompt with admin privileges, went to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\" and typed...

mklink /J ".\Adobe Premiere Elements 10" "D:\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 10"

This created a symbolic link (bit like a shortcut, but stronger) from the folder where Elements expected the content to be to a folder on my D: drive. Thus, when Elements runs, it thinks this folder is still where it was, but in reality it's on the D: drive.

Elements works fine, and I have saved 8Gb on my SSD. Hope this helps someone.

• 2. Re: Can I move some of the content to another drive?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As a rule, the program and additional program content files must be on your C drive, Getrude, in order for the program to work properly. (Though your mileage may vary so it MAY work.)

You can (and probably should) however keep your project in media files on a second hard drive. And, ideally, each project file should be in its own separate folder.

• 3. Re: Can I move some of the content to another drive?
              GertrudeGringleII Level 1

Hi Steve,

As you can see from my earlier post, as long as you use symbolic links, Elements doesn't seem to mind if the files are actually somewhere else. In fact, the idea of symbolic links is that it doesn't even realise that they are somewhere else! Although I only did this with the extra content, I imagine you could do it with pretty much anything.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Can I move some of the content to another drive?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As long as you have installed the Additional Functional Content to another drive, and PrE can read that absolute Path, all should be OK.

If you installed to the SSD, and then Move it, PrE will need to locate it, and that is not as easy, as locating media for a Project.

The lack of real estate is the biggest rub, right behind the cost/GB of an SSD, that I see.

Also, SSD's are good for reading, and for bootup, but they fall behind, when reads are required. Until they progress, maybe with the next generation of SSD's, I do not recommend them.

Now, with tiny SSD's, some have had good results by only loading the OS onto the SSD, and then using an HHD for programs. That can work, though most Adobe programs really like being installed onto the C:\. One user, Neale, has had good luck with his PrE (including the Additional Functional Content), installed on his internal D:\.

Some day, SSD's will be larger, not cost so very much, and address the reads better. When that happens, I will likely change my recs. on their use.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can I move some of the content to another drive?
                  gjierngae

Thanks Did the same because i didnt want to use more space up on my C: ssd

• 6. Re: Can I move some of the content to another drive?
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Imo this is a bad way of configuring a computer. What is the point of having a ssd?

If you want to save space on the SSD move the media cache found in the Preferences.