5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 1:32 PM by try67

Does Reader support saveas conversion to tiff?

e_leska

Hello,

I am working on a form that has javascript to save the document as TIFF images.  The scripting works fine in both Adobe Standard and Pro.  However, when the document is saved as "Reader Extended PDF" in pro then opened in Reader X, the file conversion run by the submit button fails. 

I have read that Adobe Reader X had issues where it only supported save functions to temp or appdata folders, but an update (10.1?) was supposed to address this issue.

The code in the folder level js file is:

---------------------------------------------------

mySaveAs = app.trustPropagatorFunction(function(doc, path)

{

app.beginPriv();

doc.saveAs(path, "com.adobe.acrobat.tiff");

app.endPriv();

});

myTrustedSpecialTaskFunc = app.trustedFunction(function(doc, file_path)
      {
           // Privileged and/or non-privileged code above
           app.beginPriv();
      try{
                mySaveAs(doc, file_path);
      app.alert("Thank You - File Has Been Saved And Will Print Next",3);
      }catch(e){
      app.alert("Could Not Save File - Please Contact Administrator");
      }
      this.print({bUI: false, nStart:1, nEnd:1, bSilent: true, bShrinkToFit: true});
      this.closeDoc(true);
      app.openDoc("/C/waivers/myfile.pdf");

app.endPriv();
      });

------------------------------------------------

Code under button is:

// Get the field value
      var fn = this.getField("PrintedFullName").valueAsString;

// Specify the folder
      var fldr = "/c/waivers/";

// Determine the full path
      var file_path = fldr + fn + "_" + myDateString() + ".tiff";

// Save the file
      myTrustedSpecialTaskFunc(this,file_path);

------------------------------------------------

On clicking the submit button, I get the error in the app.alert above "Could Not Save File" in ReaderX, however it works perfectly in Standard or Pro.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....this is the last hurdle before we can call this completed!  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Does Reader support saveas conversion to tiff?
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The file must have save usage rights for this to work in Reader. Also, you

have to make sure the conversion ID you're specifying does indeed exist in

Reader (app.fromPDFConverters will return that list).

• 2. Re: Does Reader support saveas conversion to tiff?
            e_leska Level 1

Thanks for the response!

try67 wrote:

The file must have save usage rights for this to work in Reader.

Isn't this what saving as "Reader Extended PDF -> Enable Additional Features " does in Acrobat X Pro?

Also, you

have to make sure the conversion ID you're specifying does indeed exist in

Reader (app.fromPDFConverters will return that list).

Can you give me an example of how to use that in Reader X to find that out?  If TIFF conversion is not available, is this some type of plug-in that gets added to reader or is it simply not available?

• 3. Re: Does Reader support saveas conversion to tiff?

Isn't this what saving as "Reader Extended PDF -> Enable Additional Features " does in Acrobat X Pro?

Correct.

Can you give me an example of how to use that in Reader X to find that out?  If TIFF conversion is not available, is this some type of plug-in that gets added to reader or is it simply not available?

Just execute that code from the JS console. If TIFF conversion is not available, then you're out of luck.
              It might be possible to develop a Reader plugin that does that, but you'll need to ask in the Acrobat SDK forum about that.

• 4. Re: Does Reader support saveas conversion to tiff?
                e_leska Level 1

Just execute that code from the JS console. If TIFF conversion is not available, then you're out of luck.
                It might be possible to develop a Reader plugin that does that, but you'll need to ask in the Acrobat SDK forum about that.

My understanding is the JS console isn't available in reader without adding scripts, changing registry settings and then it doesn't show unless you add code to pop it up or it blows an erorr.  Is this true on Reader or is there an easier way to find this out.

Man....I have to believe someone has run into this and just knows if Reader supports TIFF saveas versus doing a bunch of reghack to test it myself. You'd think this would just be documented clearly somewhere at Adobe. Yikes.

Anyone know for sure before I start modding my test pilot PC just to find out?

• 5. Re: Does Reader support saveas conversion to tiff?

If you can't save the file as TIFF using the menus, then you probably can't

do it with a script, either.