8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 3:32 AM by djh49

I can not open PDFs while using Parallels

WhitneyGaines

My boss recently bought me an iMac and since our company is on Windows I have to use the software for Parallels so I can run both Windows and Mac.  The problem I ran into today was I can not open any PDFs on either the Windows or Mac side.  The error message that appears says: Distiller can not run fils with the extension PDF or JFD.  I have never heard of a Mac having issues opening PDFs so I am at a loss. 

• 1. Re: I can not open PDFs while using Parallels
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What exactly does this have to do with InDesign?

Bob

• 2. Re: I can not open PDFs while using Parallels
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Time to contact Parallels.com tech support. It's their problem and can't be solved here.

• 3. Re: I can not open PDFs while using Parallels
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't know what's going on on the Mac side, but you should look at the file associations in Windows. It sounds to me like PDF files are incorrectly associated with Distiller instead of Acrobat or Reader.

• 4. Re: I can not open PDFs while using Parallels
                WhitneyGaines Level 1

I’m sorry, I did not realize I was asking a question on an InDesign specific question forum but my computer is not letting me open any documents made in creative suite on my Mac or Windows side.

• 5. Re: I can not open PDFs while using Parallels
                  WhitneyGaines Level 1

Thank you, you have been the most helpful and kind in this matter.  How do I do this?

• 6. Re: I can not open PDFs while using Parallels
                    peter minneapolis Level 4

WhitneyGaines wrote:

My boss recently bought me an iMac and since our company is on Windows I have to use the software for Parallels so I can run both Windows and Mac.  The problem I ran into today was I can not open any PDFs on either the Windows or Mac side.  The error message that appears says: Distiller can not run fils with the extension PDF or JFD.  I have never heard of a Mac having issues opening PDFs so I am at a loss. 

I use Parallels with no problems creating PDFs with CS products running in Windows (XP SP3) or in OS X 10.6.8, and no problems opening them with Acrobat or Reader on either OS, regardless of whether they were made under the same OS as the opening application.

How are you opening the PDFs? Double clicking or right-clicking on them in Finder or Windows Explorer, or by using File > Place in a CS product on either OS, or by using File > Open in Acrobat or Reader in either OS?

If the problem exists when trying to open in Acrobat or Reader with File > Open or double clicking in Finder or Windows Explorer, it's definitely not an ID problem.

If you're using File > Open in ID, this is your problem, because ID can only place (import) PDFs, not open them.

Have you tried closing Windows and then trying to open a PDF on Mac? What results? (NOTE: you can leave Parallels running or close it, too.)

As Peter S. notes, there may be a problem in which application is set to open PDFs. You can find out by right clicking a PDF in Mac Finder, and lookiing under Open With - the default application is stated there. I believe it will show Windows applications used by Parallels, like Distiller on the Windows side, but I'm not sure if Parallels needs to be running or not. If files with PDF extension do not have a Acrobat, Reader, or PDF icon in Finder or Windows Explorer, then the PDF extension isn't correct for the actual file, or the file's corrupted.

Can the files be opened by another user on another computer; i.e., are you the only one with the problem? If so, create a new user account on your computer, and try to open the PDF. If this works, then the problem may be due to incorrect permission settings.

Search Google for terms like "windows create new user account," "mac OS create new user account," "windows associating files with applications," "mac associating files with applications," "InDesign place pdf," and "parallels windows mac file associations," without quotes, for links to resources on this Adobe site, as well as across the Web.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 7. Re: I can not open PDFs while using Parallels
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

WhitneyGaines wrote:

Thank you, you have been the most helpful and kind in this matter.  How do I do this?

In Windows, right-click a PDF file and choose Open With...

From the list pick Acrobat (if it is installed) or Reader (if not). Check the box to "always use this application"

• 8. Re: I can not open PDFs while using Parallels
                        djh49

Go into Parallels and uncheck in the app preference area share app with mac and share apps with windows.

Restart parallels and find a pdf in the windows side and associate it with reader and all other pdf files to open

in reader also.

Once this is done pdf won't solicit distiller from the mac side and your pdf will open with reader.