7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2012 10:22 AM by photodrawken RSS

Creating a Drop Shadow in Elements 10

Sheldon-B Community Member

I need to frame an image so that it will look like the image is mounted in a mat, so I'm guessing I'll need an "inside" drop shadow.  How can I do that in Elements 10 on a PC running Windows 7?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Creating a Drop Shadow in Elements 10
          photodrawken Community Member

If you create your mat on its own layer, simply use the "Drop Shadow" effect on that layer.

Here's what I did:

1. Open an image and double-click on the background layer to change it to a "normal" layer.
          2. Select...All to create a selection marquee around the perimeter.
          3. Add a new layer above it.
          4. With that new layer active, use Edit...Stroke (Outline) Selection to add a white inside stroke of the desired width.  Now the layer contains your mat.
          5. Ctrl+click on the mat layer to select the white mat.
          6. Add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to the mat layer, clipping it to that layer.  (The H/S layer will be automatically masked to the selection.)  Using the "Colorize" option, adjust the colours to suit -- you'll need to reduce the "Lightness" for the colour to become visible.
          7. Add Effects...Drop Shadow to the mat layer, ignoring the warning that some of the effect won't be visible.

At this point, you have an effect that looks like this:

mat final 01.png

If you want to see the external portion of the drop shadow, Ctrl+click to select all the layers and use the "Link" icon to link them together.  Then, using the Move tool, drag the lower right corner up and to the left to reveal the outside portion of the drop shadow:

mat final 02.png

The layers look like this:

mat layers.png

Ken

• 2. Re: Creating a Drop Shadow in Elements 10
            Mark Sand Community Member

Sheldon,

Here is a way to create a frame & mat with a beveled 3D look.

Create the frame:

1. Select the picture (Select > All).

2. Add a blank layer and Edit > Stroke. Choose the stroke With, Color, and Location Inside.

3. Apply the Simple Sharp Outer Bevels Layer Style. Go into the Style Settings and set Bevel Direction to Up and adjust Bevel Size as needed. To get a natural "light from above" shadow, adjust the Lighting Angle.  In this example I used angle 120.

Create the mat:

4. Duplicate the picture layer.

5. Activate the Free Transform tool and in the W/H boxes enter the matte opening size (reduce the picture's dimensions by the same absolute amount).

6. Ctrl-click this layer to select the matte opening, delete the selection, invert the selection, and fill with the mat color. Optionally apply the Bevels Layer Style to this mat layer as in my example.

7. To later change the frame or mat color, Ctrl-click the layer to select it and add a Hue/Saturation or Solid Color adjustment layer.

This method creates the frame inside the picture. If you want I can supply instructions on how to create the frame outside the picture.

Note: I am using an older version of PSE, so my Bevel options may differ from yours. You will have to experiment.

frame inside2.jpg

• 3. Re: Creating a Drop Shadow in Elements 10

Looks sharp, Mark!  I like using the Bevel on the mat.

Ken

• 4. Re: Creating a Drop Shadow in Elements 10
                Sheldon-B Community Member

Thanks for the responses.  Very helpful!

SCB

Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 10:27:03 -0600

To: scbelinkoff@live.com

Subject: Creating a Drop Shadow in Elements 10

Re: Creating a Drop Shadow in Elements 10

created by Mark Sand in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion

Sheldon,Here is a way to create a frame & mat with a beveled 3D look. Create the frame:1. Select the picture (Select > All).2. Add a blank layer and Edit > Stroke. Choose the stroke With, Color, and Location Inside.3. Apply the Simple Sharp Outer Bevels Layer Style. Go into the Style Settings and set Bevel Direction to Up and adjust Bevel Size as needed. To get a natural "light from above" shadow, adjust the Lighting Angle.  In this example I used angle 120. Create the mat:4. Duplicate the picture layer.5. Activate the Free Transform tool and in the W/H boxes enter the matte opening size (reduce the picture's dimensions by the same absolute amount). 6. Ctrl-click this layer to select the matte opening, delete the selection, invert the selection, and fill with the mat  color. Optionally apply the Bevels Layer Style to this mat layer as in my example.7. To later change the frame or mat color, Ctrl-click the layer to select it and add a Hue/Saturation or Solid Color  adjustment layer. Note: I am using an old version of PSE, so my Bevel options may differ from your. You will have to experiment.  http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-4312901-181683/450-245/frame+i nside2.jpg

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4312901#4312901

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4312901#4312901. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 5. Re: Creating a Drop Shadow in Elements 10

I had some more fun with this -- the thought occurred to me that using a mat with one of the built-in frames would look really sharp.  I embellished Mark's idea of applying a bevel to the mat layer and came up with this:

Frame and Mat.png

The key, of course, is to get each of the three elements (image, mat, and frame) on its own layer.

Here are the steps:

1. Open your image.
                  2. In the Layers Palette, if the image is a "Background" layer, double-click on it to change it to a "normal" layer, naming the layer "Image".
                  3. Select...All, and hit your Delete key to clear the layer's content, then Select...Deselect.
                  4. File...Place and place the same image on the "Image" layer.  This is so the image is a Smart Object.

Frame

1. Double-click on the frame of your choice in the Contents Panel.  It will come in on its own layer.
                  2. Resize the frame to fit as large as possible in the Canvas. Use the corner resizing handles to keep the frame image in proportion -- if you drag one of the edges, the result will look mondo ugly!
                  3. Right-click on the frame layer and choose "Simplify Layer".
                  4. Use the Magic Wand to select the gray area inside the frame, and delete it.
                  5. Select...Deselect.
                  6. Use the Eraser tool to remove the remaining text and stuff from the center.
                  7. Add a Drop Shadow effect to the frame layer.  I used these settings:
                    F M frame style settings.png
                    You want a relatively soft-looking drop shadow because a real frame will be quite a bit higher than the mat and therefore cast a softer shadow.  (Ignore the warning about some of the effect not being visible.)

Mat

1. Add a new layer between the "Image" layer and the "Frame" layer, naming it "Mat".
                  2. Make a rectangular selection, making sure the selection is well behind the image of the frame (to prevent the outer portions of the bevel and the drop shadow you will create from being seen):
                    F M mat selection.png
                  3. Edit...Stroke (Outline) Selection...Inside with white, using a large enough value so the mat looks good. (The "Undo" button is your friend here. )
                  4. Use Filter...Texture...Texturizer with these settings:
                    F M mat texture settings.png
                  5. Add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, clipping it to the "Mat" layer, using the "Colorize" option and adjust the colours to suit.  You'll need to reduce the "Lightness" value in order to see the colour.
                  6. Add a Simple Sharp Inner bevel effect.
                  7. Then add a Drop Shadow effect.
                  8. Adjust the "fx" settings to this (also adding a slight "Inner Glow"):

F M mat style settings.png

You want the mat's drop shadow to be darker and sharper than the frame's drop shadow because a real mat is thinner and closer to the surface of the image.

Fine tuning

Now you can re-position and resize the image to fit nicely in the frame/mat.  Because the image is a smart object, it will retain its resolution as best it can.  If you want to see the drop shadow that's outside the frame, re-size the Canvas to extend its bottom and/or right edge. 

My layers wound up looking like this (I needed to add a Levels adjustment layer to the image after I resized the image to compensate for the smaller image size):

Frame and Mat layers.png

Have some fun!

Ken

• 6. Re: Creating a Drop Shadow in Elements 10
                    Mark Sand Community Member

Good job Ken!

This is followup to my previous example. Here I create the frame outside the picture.

First create the mat:

1. Rename the Background layer to anything else.

2. Image > Resize > Canvas Size. Enter Width & Height each increased by the mat width (not percentage).

3. Use the Magic Wand to select the transparent mat.

4. Add a blank layer and and fill the selection with the mat color.

Create the Frame

5. Image > Resize > Canvas Size. Enter Width & Height each increased by the frame width.

6. Use the Magic Wand to select the transparent frame.

7. Add a blank layer and and fill the selection with the frame color.

8. Apply the Simple Sharp Outer Bevels Layer Style to the frame and mat layers.

9. For both layers go into the Style Settings and set Bevel Direction to Up and adjust Bevel Size as needed. To get a natural "light from above" shadow, adjust the Lighting Angle.  In this example I used angle 120.

10. For the mat layer the bevel appears on both the inner and outer edge of the mat, but we don't want it on the outer edge. To correct this. Use the Rectangular Marquee to select the center (non-beveled) portion of the mat, invert the selection, and fill with the mat color.

frame outside.jpg

• 7. Re: Creating a Drop Shadow in Elements 10

That works well, Mark, and the frame can be filled with any of the patterns from the Content Palette to get a wood, or brushed metal, etc., effect.

Ken