6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2012 2:20 PM by Islanders66

Replace with After Effects comp

Islanders66 Level 1

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed. I did a search, asked some friends and still having trouble.

This is my first time using the replace clip in Premiere with After Effects comp and I can't figure out how to either maintain cross disolves or be able to create new cross disolve after the new After Effects comp is in the Premiere timeline. Should I add cross disolves before using this replace with AfterFX comp or should I add disolves after? Right now when the clip is replaced in Premiere the cross disolve is lost and when I go to add a new one, I get the "not enough data and some frames will be repeated" warning. Then the disolve looks dirty.

This is the last thing I need to do before it's finished.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Replace with After Effects comp
          Stanley Arthur Level 3

Replacing with AE Comp will delete the dissolve, yes. The repeated frames issue is caused by the fact that when you replaced with an AE comp, you lost any "handles" you might have had from the original footage. To compensate for that, make the clip preceeding the new AE Comp clip a little longer (assuming that it has "handles"), then drag the AE Comp clip over the end of it a bit. Drag it the same amount that you want the dissolve to last, then apply the dissolve.

This is a terribly clunky way to describe it, which is why I like to do quick tutorials, but I hope this description works for you.

• 2. Re: Replace with After Effects comp
            Islanders66 Level 1

That helps! What I'm doing now is copying the clip to the end of the timeline, dragging out the ends, replace with AE, then replace the original clip using the vidieo track above it with enough room for cross disolves. They were looking a little dirty because I was using very short disolves on 24 fps. For some reason I think I am having problems with the clip mainining handles even if I set the in and out points in the preview window. I haven't had this problem before (and know how to slip etc) but maybe I'm missing something because I have more expericne with FCP, so I'm hoping it works the same way and this was an issolated error that I missed.

• 3. Re: Replace with After Effects comp
              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

I just make a copy of the clip over the orignal, and then trim out the handles on the overlapping clip before replacing with an After Effects composition.

• 4. Re: Replace with After Effects comp
                Islanders66 Level 1

Thanks Kevin. When you say trim out the handles do you mean adjust both ends of the the clip so it's overlapping the clips beside it so that you can apply a disolve? Is there a shortcut to copy the clip to the layer above? When I do copy paste it always wants to paste on the first track.

• 5. Re: Replace with After Effects comp
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Yes, I overlap the clip on both sides, then I replace that clip with an After Effects comp. After I've done my AE work, I trim the clip back to size and then drop it down back into the track. I can then apply transitions to the clip and the After Effects comp. It's all about having handles on any clip you want to apply a transition to.

• 6. Re: Replace with After Effects comp
                    Islanders66 Level 1

That makes sense. I may have lost some handles because for this project I used another sequence to select and size the clips then copied and pasted them to the final sequence. Thanks for the help!