10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 30, 2012 6:55 PM by ladri-bici RSS

Color spaces not sticking...?

ladri-bici Community Member

What's Confusing: I have a layered file, the color space assigned to it is sRGB. I save a png file via Save For Web, tick the option to convert export to sRGB. All looks good in the save for web 2-up preview. But when I open the new png file, it's color profile is set to Adobe RGB, and the color space looks off—not like it did in the SFW preview.

Details: My default color space is Adobe RGB. Sync'd across all CS5 apps. I have the option ticked to warn me on profile mismatches when opening a file. So far so good.

So it seems like my Working Space color (Adobe RGB) is overriding SFW settings as well as my document color space settings

Same thing happens when saving as a jpg.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Color spaces not sticking...?
          Grant H Community Member

ok: PNG does not support embedded profiles,

but you can "assign" a working one when opening it in PS, but you need to change your prefs: edit>colour settings> under color management settings check profile mismatches ask when pasting and ask when opening. Then open the file

G

• 2. Re: Color spaces not sticking...?

thanks for the info. but i do have 'ask when opening' selected under profile mismatches. and this also happens when saving a jpg.

• 3. Re: Color spaces not sticking...?
              Paulo Skylar Community Member

The PNG file format does support embedding ICC color profiles

Paulo

• 4. Re: Color spaces not sticking...?

So within save for web there is no specific option for PNG embedded profiles, only to save as sRGB. Jpeg does give the option to embed a profile. BUT...

I still feel something is acting newly wrong here. My original psd file's color settings are being ignorored, as well as the sRGB option. Both for PNGs and JPEGs. All I'm doing is saving an sRGB file out, and that color setting is being stripped and defaults to my wroking color space. Is this standard functionality? Seems very wrong.

What settings file might I try and delete, besides the Photoshop general prefs...?

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Color spaces not sticking...?
                  gator soup Community Member

To erase, delete or reset Save For Web & Devices SFW preferences:

1. Open a small .jpg in Photoshop (to ungray the File menu).
                  2. Mac: Press and hold Option+Command keys, while File> Save For Web Devices (you will get a prompt confirming you want to erase all Save for Web preferences).
                  3. Windows PC: Press and hold Control+Alt keys, while File> Save For Web Devices (you will get a prompt confirming you want to erase all Save for Web preferences).

that should configure SFW default settings to CONVERT your Photoshop Source Space to sRGB and strip the ICC profile by default

How to reset Photoshop's preferences using special key combinations (most Adobe apps use this method of keystrokes):

1. First Quit Photoshop.
                  2. Mac: Press and hold Command+Option+Shift keys, while opening Photoshop (you will get a prompt confirming you want to delete the Adobe Photoshop settings folder).
                  3. Windows PC: Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift keys, while opening Photoshop (you will get a prompt confirming you want to delete the Adobe Photoshop settings folder).
                  • 6. Re: Color spaces not sticking...?
                    gator soup Community Member

if you want a fast assign-convert tutorial:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/assignconvert.html#tutorial

• 7. Re: Color spaces not sticking...?
                      D Fosse Community Member

Saving out a PNG through Save For Web will strip the profile. The checkbox converts the numbers to sRGB, but the profile itself is stripped. So when you reopen this untagged file, the working space is assigned.

A regular Save As PNG, however, will keep the profile, although the "embed profile" checkbox is grayed out.

This is just how the current PNG implementation in Photoshop works. It makes no sense, but there it is. What you're seeing is in fact the standard "normal" behavior.

As for jpeg, the default with Save For Web is also to strip the profile, but here you at least have a choice to embed (you don't with PNG).

• 8. Re: Color spaces not sticking...?

Thanks all for your helpful comments. So it seems this is default behaviour that I just haven't noticed before.

It really seems that when I SaveForWeb, the export is a version of the master, and that version should include the color profile settings of the master. Heads up, Adobe!

• 9. Re: Color spaces not sticking...?
                          ssprengel CommunityMVP

Save For Web is trying to minimize the file size, and a profile is just added nothingness because browsers are supposed to default to sRGB if there isn’t  profile.

If you want a different behavior than minimizing file size then just save the file using the normal Save As and choose to include the profile if you want.

• 10. Re: Color spaces not sticking...?

An update here. I may still be missing something, but this is what I get in this new scenario.

RGB layered file tagged with the Adobe RGB (1998) space. Export this via scripts/layer comps to files. This is different than SaveForWeb, as I can include the ICC here.

Select PNG 24, include ICC profile, and save.

When I open these files, there is no profile warning message—as it is the same color. But the color is off. The  only way to get the color to match the psd is to convert to the same Adobe RGB profile it is already tagged with. The 'Assign Profile' command (even though it's the same) has no effect.

Anyone who can clarify this please step forward!