2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2012 12:43 PM by lbsimpson

Moved Project To Different Computer---how do I bring back my 'Log Notes' in each bin?

lbsimpson Level 1

Hi all,

I am running CS5 on a mobile, laptop workstation as well as a desktop tower based system.  I started a project on my laptop with the majority of the raw media sitting on portable external hard drives.  After some super hardware upgrades to the tower system, I have transferred all of the Adobe project files to the other computer and opened the project to continue work.  Our raw media lives on a raid, and I move select folders to external drives to work on the laptop as needed.  As I started reconnecting the media in this project to the raw media on the raid rather than the portable HD, I noticed my detailed log notes within each media directory bin disappear.  Luckily I noticed this early on in the reconnect process. 

My first instinct tells me that if I replace the media directories  in this project living on the riad with the media directory duplicates I had been working from on the portable HD, that when I reconnect again to the directories on the raid, the log notes will not disappear.  I am copy a directory from the external HD to the Raid to test this now, but wanted to get the discussion rolling here as well.

Is there another tool/method/feature that will allow me to save my log notes and re-import them into the project? or to perhaps preserve them during media reconnect?  Any thoughts or points to other informational resources would be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise perhaps it is faster to finish the project on the laptop?!  I'm eager to put my new SSDs to the test though!

Thanks!

Lindsay

• 1. Re: Moved Project To Different Computer---how do I bring back my 'Log Notes' in each bin?
          lbsimpson Level 1

Well I did a bit of digging in the CS5 Premiere help manual (pg. 108) and came across the ability to link clip data entered into a project, like Log Notes, and link that to the metadata XMP.  As the document states clip data added in a project that is created prior to establishing the XMP link will NOT to be saved to the metadata, but even when I perform a test linking the clip and xmp log notes fields prior to adding any information to a clip's log notes the information input after linking does not seem to save in the metadata.  I test this by making the specific clip offline and then re-linking the clip.

Another observation, I thought perhaps by copying the media directory that the original notes had been built in from the external HD back to the raid, that upon re-linking the media the log notes would still be viable, as when linked to the directories on the external HD the log notes are present.  However, that also failed to retain the log notes after re-linking to the directory copied to the raid.

What and where do the files live associated with a project that retain the clip data input into the project?  Is it part of the media cache etc?

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.  Perhaps I am missing a step when I create to clip to metadata XMP link?

Thanks!

Lindsay

• 2. Re: Moved Project To Different Computer---how do I bring back my 'Log Notes' in each bin?
            lbsimpson Level 1

Just made an interesting observation, I linked the description field properties between clip and XMP, modified the description attached to a specific clip, saved the project, made the clip offline and then reconnected it to see if the description remained or disappeared.  The description field was preserved.  I attempted this same test wtih the Log Notes field linked to the Log Comments XMP field, but when I reconnected the media the log notes content disappeared. The two XMP fileds in question here are part of different schemas.  One is in the 'Dublin Core' and the other 'Dyanmic Media'.  Should it not matter which schema a link is built in?  I find it strange that it works great with the description field, but is failing ot reain the linked Log Comments in the XMP.  Am I missing some other key step?

Thanks,

Lindsay