6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2012 7:40 PM by Todd_Kopriva

disable snapping while dragging

chrsyo

i just want to know how to disable the snap while dragging the clips in the time line so i can match the exact lip sync of my video into my music.. in snapping its hard to match it.. Thank you..

• 1. Re: disable snapping while dragging
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

AE will quantize to discrete frames and how precisely it does depends on your framerate settings for the comp and the footage interpretation. It's simply inherent in how video works - you couldn't go inbetween two frames, since no data exists there and was never recorded in teh first place. If you are having difficulties, adjust your settings. The only otehr way eould be to use time-remapping/ timewarping, but still, it will never be 100% sample exact. It's just impossible.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: disable snapping while dragging
            bogiesan Level 4

Final Cut Pro has a weird function for audie editing where you can actually get between frames. I've never understood how it works but it does. I have never opened Adobe's audio editing application but any DAW has the ability to edit at the csub-frame level.

• 3. Re: disable snapping while dragging
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

I have to ask you why you're using AE to sync up video to audio in the first place.  It's almost always far easier to to this kind of work in a video editing application rather than an effect, motion graphics and compositing application like AE.

• 4. Re: disable snapping while dragging
                chrsyo Level 1

i use AE before in making music videos and i dont have any problem with it.. its just recently when i change computer and install a fresh AE.. can you guys suggest any good program for making music video if im using the wrong ones... and thanks for all the replies.. i appreciate it..

• 5. Re: disable snapping while dragging
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

Just about ANY video editing application is much faster and easier for editing and syncing than after effects.  When the cut is done, you can export to AE for the effects work.

You should also know that if you're using Final cut Pro, there are problems with syncing DSLR video and audio recorded on an external device, and your sync problems may lie elsewhere.

• 6. Re: disable snapping while dragging
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Premiere Pro also has the ability to work with audio at the sample level for time units.

As Dave says, After Effects is the wrong tool for any audio work. Audio in After Effects is for reference, and that's about all.