1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 5, 2012 4:36 PM by the_wine_snob

how do I overlay audio from interview clip over other video clips?

michael3434

Help! I have some interview clips and want to over lay the audio from one of the interviews over different video clips. For example, I would show video and audio from the interviewee and then cut to a clip or scene showing what the guy is talking about but still have the interviewees audio playing as a voice over on the cut-away clip. How do I do that?!

• 1. Re: how do I overlay audio from interview clip over other video clips?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Is this Audio muxed (combined into a Clip w/ both Audio & Video), or is it a separate Audio-only file, that has been Imported into your Project?

If the latter, just drag an Instance of it to a free Audio Track, and position, as is needed. Note: each Instance of a Clip can have different In & Out Poiints, so you are not limited to them being identical.

For the former, the muxed file, there are a couple of ways to do that, but possibily the easiest is to Alt-click on the Audio part of the Clip (temporarily unlinks the Audio & Video), and Ctrl-C (Copy), then move the CTI (Current Time Indicator/Playhead) to the end of the Timeline, and press Ctrl-V (Paste), for as many Instances of that Audio, as you need. Then, drag them to an empty Audio Track, while holding down the Ctrl key for an Insert Edit, rather than a Ripple Edit, so as to not affect anything on that Track, below the desired Video Clip. If you are replacing the Audio.

Another way to do that is to use an audio-editing program to rip the Audio, Save as a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit file, and then Import that into the Project, for use in many Instances.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt