4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2012 9:39 AM by the_wine_snob

Poor quality photos after rendering in Premiere Elements 10 timeline

vikij101

I've imported my photos from Photoshop Elem. 10, at 720x480 res., 72 ppi, jpeg files. and the photo quality is blurred and pixelated and rendering the timeline doesn't seem to help.  I checked the flicker removal box...I'm not sure that helped much either.  I did a number of these photo videos in an old Premiere application and never ever had this problem, so I'm not sure what's going on. The photo in the preview looks just fine.   I'm doing this video for my daughter's wedding, so want it to be of the best quality.   Can anyone give me any hints.    

• 1. Re: Poor quality photos after rendering in Premiere Elements 10 timeline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What is the Project Preset chosen, NTSC, or PAL DV?

Your Images are Scaled to NTSC DV, but if you are going to say BD, which will be HD, then the images should be re-Scaled to match that Preset's Frame Size.

If you do have an NTSC DV Project, what is the Export/Share format/CODEC, that you are using?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Poor quality photos after rendering in Premiere Elements 10 timeline
            vikij101 Level 1

Hi Bill.

Thanks for your quick response.   I used NTSC in the preset and planned on burning my project to a DVD.  The compressor setting is at DV25NTSC.   The images in the monitor look fine when they're still, until I play it...then it gets fuzzy, even after it's been rendered.  Other settings are:  Edit mode:  QT; Display format, 3-fps drop-frame timecode; timebase, 29.97; ext. device, 29.97; capture format DV.  I'm not sure if there is any information in any of those settings that would make a difference.  I'm on an iMac.   How do you mean the images should be re-scaled to match the preset's frame size?  There must be some setting that I haven't selected accurately, but I'm not sure what it is.  Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Poor quality photos after rendering in Premiere Elements 10 timeline
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are editing in an NTSC DV Project, then the 720 x 480 Frame Size should be spot on. Given the output to DVD-Video, you should not have to do anything else. The Still Images should look good. Note: if one is playing on an older DVD player, but to an HD TV, things will not look as good, as if playing to a CRT TV. With many newer DVD players, and most BD players, there are up-rezzing chips, that should be employed to get an even better signal to the HD TV. Those chips do an amazing job, but obviously, the display will NOT be up to full-HD quality, as one could get with a BD from an HD 1920 x 1080 Project.

It looks to me, as though you are doing everything possible. Maybe others will see something that I am just missing.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Poor quality photos after rendering in Premiere Elements 10 timeline
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This is rather a PS, on display of DVD-Video on HD TV's. Just did a SlideShow of ~  4000 x 3000 pxls. Still Images, Scaled to 720 x 480 in PS w/ Bicubic Sharper. It was output to a DVD-Video. When I tested it on my laptop with an HD display, the Images looked just OK - DVD resolution w/ no up-rezzing chip involved. However, when I played that same disc on my Panasonic BD player (w/ up-rezzing chip) on a 42" LED TV, things looked great. Only little problem was that in one Image, I got a bit of "glimmer" in some roof tiles - that Image had been slightly over-Sharpened. My bad. As the glimmer was only in one Image, and its Duration was 05 sec., I let it go, as I doubt that anyone else will even see it, when fed to two very large Diamondtron screens in a semi-dark event hall.

The gist of that is that when played on the multi-drive onto my laptop's 17" HD screen, w/ no up-rezzing chip, the Images were just OK - nothing special, and I knew those Images intimately. However, w/ up-rezzing chip in the BD player, and displayed on a much larger screen, the overall quality improved greatly.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful