• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash will not update and does not work - mentions cannot register and Avtive X

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am trying to download the latest version of Flash on Windows XP, it will not update ass it says I have an Active X issue and it cannot register.

Please help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Let us know if this fixes your problem, or if you have any difficulties with the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thanks for the help, but no luck – still getting this message, not really sure why it happened either.

Thank you

Gareth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is basically a registry permission problem; I was hoping that Microsoft Fixit would fixit.

There is a more complicated procedure, but let's first try another possible solution.

Go to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html#Install_in_a_... and download the 32-bit ActiveX installer.  Save it to disk (you may need to right-click, then save target as).

Next close all browser windows, then right-click on the downloaded installer, and select Run as Administrator.

If that also does not complete the installation, you may need to run the SubInACL procedure from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-windows-registry-permissions.html

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that this will clear up your problem, as the procedure was created for Flash Player 10.  But anyway, let us know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat, still no luck, thanks for trying though – my system is 32bit does that matter?

Kind regards

Gareth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If both Microsoft Fixit and SubInACL did not fix the problem, then it becomes very complicated.

I wish the Flash Player developers would update the SubInACL procedure for Flash Player 11, but since the error you are encountering is rather rare, this may not happen anytime soon.

What you will have to find out is what registry key(s) is having permission problems.  This can be found out by running the ActiveX installer while Process Monitor is running (filtering the ActiveX installer process).  However, the output is very large (ten thousands of lines), and you will have to check each line for a potential registry permission issue.

Sorry, but apart from reinstalling Windows I have no more options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, wait - I have just thought of another potential fix for your problem: download the MSI installer and save it to disk, then close all browser windows and run the downloaded MSI installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines