12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 1:11 AM by bgripling

Title Tools crash on Mac

bgripling Level 1

Can anyone help me with this? I've been trying to get the Titler applet in Premiere Pro CS5 to work, but no matter what I do it just gives me the beachball of death upon trying to spawn a new title. I did practically everything from removing duplicate fonts and clearing the font caches, to even reinstalling the whole thing, but still it doesn't let me make a title at all!

I'm running the app on OS X 10.5.8, by the way.

• 1. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I know that on a PC, bad, poorly-written, or corrupt fonts will cause Titler to hang, or crash. Not sure how different fonts might be on a Mac. Could be the same, or totally different. This ARTICLE goes into some detail, but you might have to "read between the lines," as I wrote it for the PC.

Many Adobe programs, such as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, are very sensitive to fonts, and Titler is sensitive to another level.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - If you narrow things down to a "bad" font (not one that is corrupt), please update this thread, and I will add that one to the article.

• 2. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
            bgripling Level 1

I actually tried those suggestions before, besides clearing the font cache. None of them seemed to work.

• 3. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
              lasvideo Level 4

So have you done the other standard procedures when things get funky on a Mac...Trash Prefs and Repair Permissions ?

• 4. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
                bgripling Level 1

Tried it, still it didn't work. I did however manage to make the thing load when I started OS X in Safe Boot mode, as only the fallback fonts are loaded when in that mode.

• 5. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I did however manage to make the thing load when I started OS X in Safe Boot mode, as only the fallback fonts are loaded when in that mode.

Hm-m, sounds like a classic "bad font" issue, but I could be wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
                    lasvideo Level 4

I agree Bill. It certainly does sound like a bad font issue.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
                      bgripling Level 1

Yeah, could be it. Might try to do a default font rollback and see if the tool still hangs up.

• 8. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
                        Jim Curtis Level 3

lasvideo wrote:

I agree Bill. It certainly does sound like a bad font issue.

Thirded.

Try using Font Book (or another font management app, if you use it), and disable all but the system fonts, and if that keeps Pr from crashing, then start enabling the ones you previously had activated a few at a time until it crashes again, and that should tell you which fonts are bad.

You could also try something like FontExplorer X to run a search and repair for bad fonts.  The repair function is iffy, but it does a good job of finding bad fonts.

• 9. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Being a PC-only guy, I am obviously not familiar with that program, but have seen fonts that "passed muster" with some pretty good PC font repair tools, that still were written in such a way, that Titler crashed (can happen with Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator, but those programs seem to be more lenient, than Titler). In two cases, I just found that replacing them with a commercially available version, fixed things. Where the font was not corrupt, but still caused a crash, I have just found something similar commercially, and used that, instead. Some foundries just design better fonts, than others.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
                            Jim Curtis Level 3

Bill, my experience is similar to yours... I replace bad fonts with a fresh copy when FEX fails to fix them.  I keep a copy of my fonts zipped in a backup file, and can replace them pretty easily when disaster strikes.

• 11. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

It's the same here. I do a DVD backup of my fonts, keeping the old ones (once were on CD's), just in case I have to re-install them. It also helps, when I get a new machine, due to all the fonts that I have bought, or collected over the years.

I use a font manager, so only ~ 350 are installed at any one time (unless I have a lot of different clients' Projects going at one time), so it is easy (or relatively so) to track a bad, or corrupt font on my system. If I load a client/Project font set, and get a crash, then I know that one of those is the culprit.

Going back some years, I ran Font Dr. (Extensis) on ALL of my fonts. Most were not loaded, and obviously, when they had been, I was working in less sensitive programs, as I was getting no crashes. There were a couple of dozen, that needed repair, but only ~ 12 (out of then many thousands), that could not be fixed, and I studied them, as much as I could, and just bought any, that I found useful. Some, I just deleted.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Title Tools crash on Mac
                                bgripling Level 1

A fellow forum member from a Mac board told me that it could be display-related or something, since his Premiere doesn't appear to be having similar issues. He asked for a crash log, so here's what I gathered from it:

http://pastebin.com/bePjgTtc