3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2012 9:21 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 10 doesn't always play

bernieraffe Level 1

I've been using PRE 10 since it was launched, and PRE 9 before that. No major problems, just a few hiccups.

I havn't changed or knowingly installed anything on my PC, but although everything else still works, when I press the 'Play' button sometimes nothing happens, no error message, program doesn't crash. It just doesn't play. The Pause button shows, so it thinks it's playing.

When this happens there's no way of recovering, I just save my work, and then stop and start PRE10. This usually fixes the problem for a few minutes, then it happens again a fewminutes later, and I have to repeat the process.

Anyoone seen this before.

Cheers,

Bernie

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10 doesn't always play
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If you selected the correct settings for your video, there will be NO red lines above the video clips when you add them to your timeline. Is this the case with your project?

What regular maintenance do you do on your computer? Do you run Advanced System Care Free's Deep Care every week to clean and defragment your system?

It might also help to know what operating system you're using, how fast your processor is and how much RAM you have.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10 doesn't always play
            bernieraffe Level 1

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

I was just about to reply about the project settings to say it was happening on older projects where the projects settings worked fine first time around, when a little light bulb went off!

It only seems to be happening on PRE9 projects, the most recent PRE10 ones seem fine so far (I went back to edit a few older films just to improve them a little). That being the case it's not too much of a problem because I only have a couple more to do.

With regard to your other questions, my PC is an i7 WIN 7 64 bit, 8gb of RAM, I run Malware bytes and Uniblue registry cleaner quite regularly and I always wash my hands after using the toilet!

Generally speaking I'm really happy with PRE10 and think it's brilliant, but are there any known issues editing PRE9 projects using PRE10?

Cheers,

Bernie

http://www.greatphotographytips.co.uk

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10 doesn't always play
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Bernie,

While many earlier Projects do edit fine in later versions, there can be issues.

Functions change version to version, so there can be enough differences, that editing the older Project will not work so well. General wisdom dictates finishing in the version, that was used to start the Project - still, many users have pleasant experiences when migrating up a version, or two. Much depends on the individual Project. That said, going backward, say from PrE 10 Project to PrE 9, is almost always impossible, or a tragedy, if it will even Open.

As for a quality difference in Export/Share when going from PrE 8 to PrE 10, I would not anticipate that being an issue. i would expect problems with missing 3rd party Effects, or Transitions, or perhaps Themes/Instant Movie, etc., but not a noticeable drop in quality - that should be constant. Still, I suppose that something in the Export/Share could have changed.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful