5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 11:50 AM by Dave LaRonde

cc sphere question

rickieg1966

In relation to the cc sphere effect, I am seeking a way to apply this effect's rotation value to a 3D object, that I do not wish to view as a sphere. Is there any way to parent the rotation value to a 3D object? Is there any other solution?

• 1. Re: cc sphere question
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can link the values using simple pickwhip expressions. Check the help.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: cc sphere question
            rickieg1966 Level 1

I attempted to pickwhip from the rotation value to the 3D object, but for some reason, its not allowed. I suppose, I'm trying to 'separate' the components of the cc sphere effect. I've got 2D image, that i've made a 3D image, 'only by' selecting the 3D check box. For a visual, I've taken a high resolution image of an aircraft, and with the pen tool, completely taken out the background, and have placed it on a transparent background, imported into After Effects, and now trying to rotate it in the same way one would build a rotating planet scene, but don't want the object to loose its original form, just to take on the characteristic of the rotation value. This one is a bit challenging.

• 3. Re: cc sphere question
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

rickieg1966 wrote:

....I've taken a high resolution image of an aircraft, and with the pen tool, completely taken out the background.... now trying to rotate it in the same way one would build a rotating planet scene, but don't want the object to loose its original form, just to take on the characteristic of the rotation value. This one is a bit challenging.

I'm not sure what you mean by "its original form".  You have a picture of an airplane, with a fuselage, wings and a tail -- things that stick out in all 3 dimensions -- but it remains a 2D picture.

If you rotate it in 3D space, it will look like a 2D picture being rotated in 3D space.  Hold up any kind of picture in front of your face and rotate it, and that's what you'll get.

But if for example, you want the wings to obscure and reveal the fuselage as it rotates, you need a 3D object, and you don't have a 3D object.  You would need to build a 3D model in a 3D application to do that.

• 4. Re: cc sphere question
                rickieg1966 Level 1

The image that I'm seeking to rotate is a 2D image. It is an image I have taken the background out of. Remember the Roswell alien crash back in 1947? Its an image of I suppose a toy product of that. It just sits flat, like the flat 'solid' layer, that I added cc sphere to. It seems the cc rotation property acts 'differently' than the standard rotation property to a flat 2D image. I'm ultimately seeking for the image of the craft to 'rotate' just like a planet was, to simulate the craft is flying. I appreciate the feedback. I'd really like to find a way to do this.

• 5. Re: cc sphere question
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

rickieg1966 wrote:

I'd really like to find a way to do this.

Then don't use CC Sphere.  Do it with 3D layers, AND in the following order: 

Add the masked aircraft layer.  Play with the anchor point to put it in the center of the visible part of the picture if necessary.  Now make it 3D. 

Make a null object, make it 3D and move it back in z-space. 

Parent the picture to the null and rotate the null. 

Want the picture to always face forward?  Make a camera layer, then use the Auto-Orient To Camera command on the picture.

Sound confusing?  Go here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html

You may need a little trainin' up.